Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench rest scope

Bench rest scope

I have been shooting 25yd BR at the local range, mainly for fun and to shoot off between my rifles.

I have only been using scopes with Mag of around 12x which is quite a bit lower than the dedicated benchers use which is 35/45x ??

For those who have tried this discipline, does using more mag improve accuracy, obviously the target is going to be larger, but of course there will be more movement to factor in.

So before I go a lay out the cash for a dedicated scope I would be interested in peoples experiences

Thanks

Personally I find that a high power scope gives me more accurate shot placement.
    Depending on the target being used black cross hairs on a black target there is more chance of 'wobble' with a lower powered scope
    Currently i use a 5-50x scope and occasionally back the power down if the need arises (light conditions).
    With a high(variable) power scope the high mag is there if you want/ need it & you can always turn it down if you want/need to.
    Also it helps in training your breathing /pulse control,others at our club initially found it difficult using 50x because of the apparent 'shake'but have learnt to control it & would now not go back to low power & their scores have improved.

ATB
    James

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two
    No, higher mag will not improve accuracy as such.
    That will only come from practice and a really well matched barrel/ pellet combo. However, a higher mag will give you a better look at the target for shot placement as long as you and your rifle/ pellet combo are up to the job.
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    As above,and.....
    practice,practice practice and then practice some more.

Mmmm! which reminds me I had better get some practice in
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    Personally I find that a high power scope gives me more accurate shot placement.
    Depending on the target being used black cross hairs on a black target there is more chance of 'wobble' with a lower powered scope
    Currently i use a 5-50x scope and occasionally back the power down if the need arises (light conditions).
    With a high(variable) power scope the high mag is there if you want/ need it & you can always turn it down if you want/need to.
    Also it helps in training your breathing /pulse control,others at our club initially found it difficult using 50x because of the apparent 'shake'but have learnt to control it & would now not go back to low power & their scores have improved.

ATB
    James
    Thanks James that is useful, my concern with variable mag is lighting at my range is not great

Quote Originally Posted by paul4be View Post
    No, higher mag will not improve accuracy as such.
    That will only come from practice and a really well matched barrel/ pellet combo. However, a higher mag will give you a better look at the target for shot placement as long as you and your rifle/ pellet combo are up to the job.
    Thanks Paul, that makes sense, I am currently using an HW100 which is a little inconsistent, I haven't really tested out pellets yet though, it is however difficult to know if it is myself that is inconsistent or the pellets, could I guess be both

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    As above,and.....
    practice,practice practice and then practice some more.

Mmmm! which reminds me I had better get some practice in
    I have only been shooting 3 months so have met a steep learning curve, my BR targets are a max of 250, with springers I have progressed from 180's to 210, with my HFT500 I have had a max of 230, I am really enjoying it though

Bench rest scope

Hi, I shoot 0.22lr and air rifle bench rest, my first dedicated scope was a Bushnell 6500 but with a mildot reticule, this is now on the air rifle, and a sightron S2 on the 0.22. The much finer cross hairs and the ⅛ moa dot make aiming much easier, and our indoor range is sufficiently lit. I have also used both scopes outdoors and much prefer the S2, the dot fits inside the hollow 10.1 ring on NSRA diagrams!
    HTH David

Quote Originally Posted by Ragle Jnr View Post
    Hi, I shoot 0.22lr and air rifle bench rest, my first dedicated scope was a Bushnell 6500 but with a mildot reticule, this is now on the air rifle, and a sightron S2 on the 0.22. The much finer cross hairs and the ⅛ moa dot make aiming much easier, and our indoor range is sufficiently lit. I have also used both scopes outdoors and much prefer the S2, the dot fits inside the hollow 10.1 ring on NSRA diagrams!
    HTH David
    Hi David

I am looking at getting either a sightron or a weaver, not sure which yet

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kennett View Post
    Thanks Paul, that makes sense, I am currently using an HW100 which is a little inconsistent, I haven't really tested out pellets yet though, it is however difficult to know if it is myself that is inconsistent or the pellets, could I guess be both
    I have only started bench rest this year, 20 yards outdoors. I got a HW and an AA S400 when I started to see which was going to do the best job for me. I think the 400 is the most accurate rifle I've had (inc Steyrs, Pro Targets and many others ).

I struggled to get pinpoint accuracy with the HW to be honest, trying pellets. For FT, HFT etc it would have been spot on still, but just not quite there for BR. Pellet type made a HUGE difference with it!! You may well find that the inconsistency is down to pellet choice.
    Last edited by paul4be; 24-08-2018 at 09:24 PM.
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

I have only started bench rest this year, 20 yards outdoors. I got a HW and an AA S400 when I started to see which was going to do the best job for me. I think the 400 is the most accurate rifle I've had (inc Steyrs, Pro Targets and many others ).

I struggled to get pinpoint accuracy with the HW to be honest, trying lots of pellets. For FT, HFT etc it would have been spot on still, but just not quite there for BR. Pellet type made a HUGE difference with it!! You may well find that the inconsistency is down to pellet choice.
    Cheers Paul, I am finding the same, bit disappointing really, not got into pellet testing yet though

By the sound of it you need to start trying different pellets now. No point plodding on just the same with a set up that isn't right

By the sound of it you need to start trying different pellets now. No point plodding on just the same with a set up that isn't right
    cheers Paul, what selection of pellets would you suggest I start with

It will vary from barrel to barrel. It might be worth you trying the test packs from JSB and H&N? They each have 40-50 of several types/ sizes. Mine seemed better with 4.51's. Thing is you can find a specific batch of a specific pellet that your barrel loves, but a different batch of the same pellet may be rubbish.
    JSB exacts and express, H&N FTT will be worth a go to start with?
    Perhaps see what others are shooting that you could try as well?
    What are you shooting now?

It will vary from barrel to barrel. It might be worth you trying the test packs from JSB and H&N? They each have 40-50 of several types/ sizes. Mine seemed better with 4.51's. Thing is you can find a specific batch of a specific pellet that your barrel loves, but a different batch of the same pellet may be rubbish.
    JSB exacts and express, H&N FTT will be worth a go to start with?
    Perhaps see what others are shooting that you could try as well?
    What are you shooting now?
    I am shooting H&N FTT, have got some JSB exacts and AA diablo field but not used them yet, with the H&N's I hit two or three good shots then one may be 10mm out I am scoring around 218 with them but I can score that with 97 springer