Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New article: the |Edwin Anson / Westley Richards "Highest Possible"

New article: the |Edwin Anson / Westley Richards "Highest Possible"

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Thumbs up

A great read Jimmie! Lots of new (to me) information about Edwin Anson, one of the most underestimated innovators in airgun design. You have obviously put a lot of effort into your research.

Also nice to see probably the first ever published illustration of a disassembled Highest Possible.

Thanks John. I had written the article a few years ago and was transferring it to the website. In doing so I realised I had written plenty but needed to double check the facts. Doing so took three extra weeks of effort and I managed to uncover more information about the characters. The patent licensing find from a Holts auction was a goldmine and really helped to clarify what was going on with regards to ownerships of the patents.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hello Jimmie,

Another fascinating and detailed article on one of my favourite, early British air pistols. The non-concentric Highest Possible always reminds me of the large Victorian revolvers of the time and could in no way have been considered a toy. The social and commercial background of these early designers is also often as fascinating as the guns themselves and certainly adds to the story of their sometimes very limited production.

I am lucky enough to own examples of both the concentric and non-concentric models and would probably consider the concentric to be a slightly retrograde step with it being smoothbore and having fixed sights.

Brian

Regardless Brian, you're a lucky bugger!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    Regardless Brian, you're a lucky bugger!
    I had an opportunity to purchase Westley Richards non-concentric Highest Possible Ser No 1055 which is the same Ser No as my Concentric, but the Concentric numbers started at 1000, so a much smaller production run. Would have made a nice pair though.

Brian

I would be interested to see the breech seal of anyone else's Highest Possible. I don't think the breech seal of my heart-shaped variant is correct and it should have a flat piece of leather applied and a curved pipe behind it to form the transfer port between the compression chamber and the barrel.

Nice job!!!

Mister D
    I am simply aghast with admiration.

If I am ever passing your part of the woods, then I would be delighted to buy you (at least) a drink.

Can't wait for the next one in the series. Whatever it is, I am sure it will be as beautifully constructed an article as the guns you research and write about.

Best,
    Richard

Many thanks Richard! I have to say, I wasn't entirely happy with this article but you have to know when to draw a line under it and move on. I did divert off on a couple of tangents but did think it worth mentioning other handle cocking air pistols especially that BSA.

All the best,
    Jimmie

Well done!

I can see there is a book just itching to get out! ;-)

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    brilliant article, thanks for sharing. A lot of effort gone into that....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    I can see there is a book just itching to get out! ;-)
    One day perhaps. I’ve got plenty more to write first. I really ought to get my finger out and write about Oskar Will, Venuswaffenwerk and the Tell Air Pistol Trilogy. I might just make that the title of the article. But but but... I am trying to write about my collection in a chronological order and there’sa few pistols to come between the Tell I and the Tell II.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    One day perhaps. I’ve got plenty more to write first. I really ought to get my finger out and write about Oskar Will, Venuswaffenwerk and the Tell Air Pistol Trilogy. I might just make that the title of the article. But but but... I am trying to write about my collection in a chronological order and there’sa few pistols to come between the Tell I and the Tell II.
    Jimmy, If you do write up the Oscar Will /Venuswaffenwerk history, make sure you consult and accredit John Atkins' extremely detailed series of articles on the subject first (Airgunner magazine, between about 1995 and 2011).

Incidentally, it is a common misconception that Oscar Wlll's name was spelt with a "k" rather than a "c", and even German collectors often make this error. The historical record shows that it was always spelt "Oscar".

Regards, John