Thread: FWB 300s pellet choice for 20Y benchrest

FWB 300s pellet choice for 20Y benchrest

I've recently started shooting 20 yard benchrest indoors with my 300s.

I've been using JSB express but I'm getting some fliers.

Yep it could well be me, but last night I sized 30 or so. What I did find is that around half of them were really tight going through the sizer.

As the 300 is only running at round 6.5ftlbs I'm looking for a lightweight pellet suggestion that might be a bit more consistent (QC wise). Happy to go down to 7.33 or 7g

The 300s is scoped by the way and fitted with a 2-7x32 airmax. I've kept to a short scope to keep away from the loading port and don't fancy going higher mounts (and compromising cheek weld) to get more clearance.

So....
    Is anyone shooting a 300s for benchrest and what pellets are you using ?

Thanks Rob
    B.A.S.C. member

I use JSB Exact 8.4 gr 4.52 dia benched 20 yds on home range in the garden, no scope using original FWB diopter and usually get one ragged hole 5 shot groups, on a bad day cloverleaf groups, same results with 451 diameter but have run out of these.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Try RWS R10 rifle pellets in 4.50 or 4.51 head size, they work very well in 300 barrels. RWS Meisterkugeln are also good, to be honest in the 300's I have shot I have not noticed any difference between the 2 pellets. I've tried both out to 25m which is pushing the limits for a wadcutter but tehy should be perfectly capable at 20 yards.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

I use JSB Match 8,02gr in mine, using Diopter, it’s pellet on pellet until I make a poor shot.
    The JSB Match premiums are also very good but pricey.

Kev

Another vote for RWS Meisterkugeln in 4.50. This rifle and pellet combination are time proven and always work well together.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Cheers for the input.

I've fancied the R10 but considered whether I should go for the lighter pistol weight ones at 7g.

The local RFD has some R10 rifle ones in so I'll pick up a tin today and try them. If no good I'll order some r10 pistol.

I've shot this 300 with express outdoors at 35 and 50 yards but trying to knock the 2mm centre out of a paper target at 20 yards is something else.
    B.A.S.C. member

Robs5230,

The actual weights of the RWS R10 pellets are :

Pistol, 6.99 gr. (notionally 7.0 gr.)

Rifle, 7.77 gr. (notionally 8.2 gr.)

So the RWS R10 Rifle are in fact, almost the same weight as the JSB Express (actual 7.88 gr. notionally 7.87 gr.).

The Qiang Yuan pellets (500 'tin') (shoots very nicely in my FWB 300s), actual weight 7.85 gr. (notionally 8.20 gr.), also are in the same weight range as the JSB Express.

In terms of weight consistency, the RWS R10 Pistol & Qiang Yuan (500 'tin') are No2 in my measurements, with a relative standard deviation (RSD) of 0.18%.

No1 is the 'new' Eley Ventus (actual weight 8.40 gr.), these have the best weight consistency that I have ever measured, with an RSD of 0.09%.

I will be measuring the new Eley Tenex pellets soon - these show an initial weight estimate of 8.57 gr.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ
    Last edited by PhatMan; 26-08-2018 at 06:28 AM.

Ive just started shooting 20 yard benchrest with a scoped Walther LGR, been using RWS R10’s the pistol ones as these were the only pellets I had to hand and getting good results, I’m pretty sure the flyers are down to me so far!