Thread: Sears 180

Sears 180

In the last few months I have caught an infection of the vintage-american-airgun-itis. It is a lovely condition!

Here's a short report about my Sears 180. I bought it from Baker Airguns in Ohio (the first photo was their advert photo). Delivery with UPS was fast and problem-free, but expensive. It was worth it though.

The 180 is light, compact, accurate, easy to use, well designed and easy to service. It was made by Crosman for Sears, an American warehouse. This is a first variant, with the cross-bolt safety. Produced between 1955 and 1959. See BB Pelletier's report for more information: https://www.pyramyda...e-worth-owning/ (a second variant with the die-cast trigger housing).

Unfortunately the airgun had issues. After some research, I found out that someone had done a bad DIY repair on the valve. A new valve and seals from Baker Airguns did not work either.
    I ordered replacement parts from JG Airguns, and luckily the 180 is finally alive.
    It spits out the .22 15.89 gr JSB's out at 480 ft/s (480-483-487). More than enough for some backyard plinking.

This airgun has made me "discover" CO2 as a good power source. Easy, cheap enough, no pump or diver's bottle or recoil.

Any more owners of 180's or other vintage US CO2 airguns? Photos please

Last edited by jirushi; 25-08-2018 at 01:17 PM.

At about 35" long the Crosman 180 is a neat and accurate little plinker although, personally, I prefer the J C Higgins made for Sears Roebuck withe the longer forearm.

I have a boxed Montgomery Ward 180, which is a beauty to shoot, despite the small size and weight. I'll feature it in my Airgun World column in the not too distant future.

John M

I have a second series which looks exactly like the one in Tom G’s blog. Lovely little carbine.

One of my favourite Crosmans I had was the multi shot 400, lovely little rifle. Had to be careful you didn't lose the magazine. Got a bulk fill Crosman cap as an option on this one.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I too am a big fan of the Crosman 400's (both versions) -- as you say Baz you have to take care not to lose the magazine as it can be very expensive to replace. Last one I bought was $50 from Baker Airguns plus shipping.
    I have a second version that I bought from Ged Finn that has a magazine made from scratch and a fine bit of engineering it is too, even though it only accepts ball ammo rather than pellets.

Just a note that the gas tube of the Crosman model 400 will replace the 180 gas tube with no modification, turning a 1 powerlet model into a 2 powerlet model.

Funny being from the US I started collecting 3 years ago and have concentrated on spring and pump Airguns. I have yet to buy a CO2 rifle which are obviously easy for me to find here. Most of my efforts have been English and German guns. It seems in collecting you tend to desire what is not in your backyard. Dumb, lol

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Funny being from the US I started collecting 3 years ago and have concentrated on spring and pump Airguns. I have yet to buy a CO2 rifle which are obviously easy for me to find here. Most of my efforts have been English and German guns. It seems in collecting you tend to desire what is not in your backyard. Dumb, lol
    Which makes it more of a challenge to find them and is all part of the fun. well it has been for me.

I must add that the Chinese QB78 version of these Crosmans is a brilliant rifle after you have changed the seals. I have converted a couple of dozen, take out the cheap O rings, fit quality polyurethane, slight tuning and you have a reliable accurate 11 ft. lb. rifle. Also replacing the valve with a Delrin one makes a great difference.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I must add that the Chinese QB78 version of these Crosmans is a brilliant rifle after you have changed the seals. I have converted a couple of dozen, take out the cheap O rings, fit quality polyurethane, slight tuning and you have a reliable accurate 11 ft. lb. rifle. Also replacing the valve with a Delrin one makes a great difference.

Baz
    Close. The QB guns are a copy of the Crosman model 160. The 180 is a similar but distinctly simpler design. The 180 was sold as a youth gun but has over the years developed a decidedly adult fan club.