Thread: Old gun case (thinking about fitting it out for my webley mk2 service)

Old gun case (thinking about fitting it out for my webley mk2 service)

Bought this old gun case for pittance on flea bay, you can probably see why in the photos below....

Sure she aint pretty, in fact, its bloody dog awful. Came with a few random thing, such as a Parker Hale shotgun cleaning rod with 12 and 410 add-on's (did come with the brushes but they were too rank for me). A pull through rifle cleaning-er thing (again covered in sh*t), a empty bottle of Phillips Shotgun Oil, and best of all, a open tin of what I think is Parker Hale gun oil that had leaked ALL over the interior of the case. Now it stinks and it is staying outside in the garage!

It did have separate compartments but the liner and wood was gone and they just fell out, The actual case looks solid. No key but I might be able to find a locksmith who can help, who knows.

Thinking of stripping it back down to the wood and recovering all of it, inside and out and then see about fitting it out for my Webley Service. Though I do not know whether to go for leather or stay canvas on the outside. There was no label on the inside so I do not know who made it or how old it is.

Anyone ever done this before have any tips for me?

Image of what it looked like on the ad:

Now:

Ignore the pile of stones, my Pup thinks its funny to chew on them and pester me to throw them for her.

It looks very much like an old Brady canvas and leather shotgun case, so once tidied up and modified it will make an excellent Service M.11 case, although there does appear to be a lot of work required.
    personally, I would try and retain/replicate the canvas and leather outer, although you will need someone skilled in leatherwork to do a proper job on the stitching.
    Dave Lewis is the man for the job, but how much it would cost and how long it would take, I have no idea, even if he was prepared to do it as he's rather busy at present.
    I purchased a labelled Brady case in much better condition on behalf of another BBS member from the same site, and that wasn't expensive either.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    It looks very much like an old Brady canvas and leather shotgun case, so once tidied up and modified it will make an excellent Service M.11 case, although there does appear to be a lot of work required.
    personally, I would try and retain/replicate the canvas and leather outer, although you will need someone skilled in leatherwork to do a proper job on the stitching.
    Dave Lewis is the man for the job, but how much it would cost and how long it would take, I have no idea, even if he was prepared to do it as he's rather busy at present.
    I purchased a labelled Brady case in much better condition on behalf of another BBS member from the same site, and that wasn't expensive either.
    I thought it might be a Brady case but after a bit of looking around I believe it is probably a William Ford Shotgun case (The images I found on the internet all seem to have a similar layout and the exact same lock) Though it could be the William Ford did not make these and simply bought them from a third party.

I was thinking of making my own case from scratch, a late summer project if you will. Then I saw this and it was less than what the basic materials would of cost me if I went out and bought them from a hardware store.

On another note, anyone recognize the type of lock on this case? Cant seem to find much about it though Im sure there are more knowledgeable people on here who might know.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Bought this old gun case for pittance on flea bay, you can probably see why in the photos below....

Sure she aint pretty, in fact, its bloody dog awful. Came with a few random thing, such as a Parker Hale shotgun cleaning rod with 12 and 410 add-on's (did come with the brushes but they were too rank for me). A pull through rifle cleaning-er thing (again covered in sh*t), a empty bottle of Phillips Shotgun Oil, and best of all, a open tin of what I think is Parker Hale gun oil that had leaked ALL over the interior of the case. Now it stinks and it is staying outside in the garage!

It did have separate compartments but the liner and wood was gone and they just fell out, The actual case looks solid. No key but I might be able to find a locksmith who can help, who knows.

Thinking of stripping it back down to the wood and recovering all of it, inside and out and then see about fitting it out for my Webley Service. Though I do not know whether to go for leather or stay canvas on the outside. There was no label on the inside so I do not know who made it or how old it is.

Anyone ever done this before have any tips for me?

Image of what it looked like on the ad:

Now:

Ignore the pile of stones, my Pup thinks its funny to chew on them and pester me to throw them for her.

Hi, Huttles, completely off thread! please don't let your puppy chew stones !