Thread: Who imported Webley Airguns into the US in the 1950’s?

Who imported Webley Airguns into the US in the 1950’s?

Just curious having just bought a Webley Mark 3 Rifle. I have prewar pistols and have copies of ads for them from Stoeger and other importers. I don’t ever recall seeing a ad from the 1950’s?
    Last edited by 45flint; 29-08-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Beeman?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Umm...Beeman wasn't in the airgun biz until 1973 or 74, and didn't bring in Mark 3's. My trusty 1959 Gun Digest lists the Mark 3 as being imported by Griffin & Howe; maybe finding other editions would be useful to pin down the date span of their involvement.

Don R.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    Umm...Beeman wasn't in the airgun biz until 1973 or 74, and didn't bring in Mark 3's. My trusty 1959 Gun Digest lists the Mark 3 as being imported by Griffin & Howe; maybe finding other editions would be useful to pin down the date span of their involvement.

Don R.
    That’s interesting, they are still in business.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post

Don R.
    Every day is a school day ... Many thanks for that fantastic piece of info. God I love this place: this is the best air gun collecting, info gathering, and all round airgunning forum around (bar none).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Interesting history:

“Griffin & Howe was bought by Abercrombie & Fitch in 1930.[3] Griffin & Howe became the main firearm and gunroom of the outfitter for the next 45 years. From the 1930s to the 1960s, G&H supplied sporting rifles to customers including Ernest Hemingway, Clark Gable, Bing Crosby, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and Robert C. Ruark.”

Webley was associated with the highest end players, but their main products were high end firearms. Wonder how much attention the Airgun business got? I bet not much?

More fascinating insight. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    G&H supplied sporting rifles to customers including... Clark Gable”
    They probably supplied this rifle then:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....l-a/#post-3033

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    They probably supplied this rifle then:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....l-a/#post-3033

Clark in Hollywood, probably had the same issues I have shooting in the backyard with neighbors all around? Air rifles just work, never knew I had so much in common with him?

Abercrombie & Fitch had catalogs through the years wonder if the Webleys show up in the 1950’s?

Abercrombie & Fitch took over from Stoeger just before the outbreak of WW2 and were still distributing Webley air pistols in 1959. I have attached a link to an article on their ledgers, which includes an image of a 1959 advert stating A&F were the first point of contact for prospective enquirers.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ica/#post-2096

I'm sure I have a Webley letter and catalogue from the 1950s that confirms A&F were the importers but despite looking, cannot find it.

Before Robert Beeman (who sold the original Beeman business some time ago), there was Robert Law and Air Rifle Headquarters. This 1960s company imported air rifles from around the world for the U.S. market during the 1960s and even produced a booklet on the Webley Premier, a copy of which can be obtained from Cornell Publications.

Hope that helps.

John

Jeez John, when I met you at one of Binner's legendary Kempton Air Gun Fairs, I thought you must've just had a bad night, or I needed to clean me glassess or something, but bugger me, you really are an ugly b'$tard, aintcha ??? ... Ha ha ha. Thank you John, for yet another invaluable piece of information on this topic, and an insight into some ephemera from the day, too: top man.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Jeez John, when I met you at one of Binner's legendary Kempton Air Gun Fairs, I thought you must've just had a bad night, or I needed to clean me glassess or something, but bugger me, you really are an ugly b'$tard, aintcha ??? ... Ha ha ha. Thank you John, for yet another invaluable piece of information on this topic, and an insight into some ephemera from the day, too: top man.
    Sorry mate, I'd rather have seen pictures of the ledgers too!

John

I know it predates the relevant time period, but I have a letter dated 26th.July 1937 from Eric C. Bewley, secretary at Webley to a prospective USA customer, stating Messrs. H. & D. Folson Arms, 312 Broadway, New York would be his contact for the purchase of Webley guns, so how many importers/distributors did Webley have over the years, apart from Hoffman, Stoeger and Abercrombie & Fitch ?

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I know it predates the relevant time period, but I have a letter dated 26th.July 1937 from Eric C. Bewley, secretary at Webley to a prospective USA customer, stating Messrs. H. & D. Folson Arms, 312 Broadway, New York would be his contact for the purchase of Webley guns, so how many importers/distributors did Webley have over the years, apart from Hoffman, Stoeger and Abercrombie & Fitch ?
    Hi David,

Webley would often reply to prospective purchasers in the form of a pre-printed standard letter, usually signed by Mr Bewley and include details of the nearest stockist. In 1937, Webley were cutting ties with Stoeger and maybe preferred to supply the name of a retailer rather than a distributor that had fallen behind with payments?

John