Thread: Crosman M1 Carbine

Crosman M1 Carbine

One of my favourite personal defence weapons in S.A. during the early riots was a General Motors M1 Carbine. Sadly I had to leave that behind and now have the Crosman bb version. Have not been impressed with fps from this, have any other owners took a chrono reading on theirs, would like to know the general consensus ? Also thought I could fit the real stock, but that turns out to be a couple of inches longer.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Think they average 350 -380, but as you will expect it depends a bit on condition & the bbs you use, weight, dimensions etc. Wasn't here a Crosman vz?? 350 that worked on the same principle, can't remember the number off hand

I have two, one wood stock and one plastic both have aftermarket mags(not genuine),they both run at about 350fps and not very consistent, but they were bought mainly for their looks.The first one I bought had two hammers in it,I suppose to increase the power(what power?)was better when one was removed.They really do look the part and ok at short distance.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Think they average 350 -380, but as you will expect it depends a bit on condition & the bbs you use, weight, dimensions etc. Wasn't here a Crosman vz?? 350 that worked on the same principle, can't remember the number off hand
    v350 was the rifle and I think the same internally as the m1 and the v300 pistol which is lever cocking

V350 was the non-military earlier (1961-69) version, with the M1 carbine arriving in about 68.

There is a very rare military trainer (no sights, “quick kill”) version of the 350 called the 350M.

And, yes, nominal 350fps.

The real M1 is a very pleasant and easy to shoot well thing. Terribly nice. Designed to replace pistols for non-infantry troops. But got carried into combat too often by guys who did not understand its purpose, and then found it underpowered. Which it is, for that role.

Melvin Johnson developed a version in .22” Spitfire calibre in the early 60s that basically matches the ballistic performance of things like the HK P7 and FN P90 PDWs.

Your "pop" valve ain't working right

The Crosman M-1 has what is called a "pop" valve, the purpose of which is to hold back air pressure from the spring piston until a certain pressure is reached when it "pops" open. These get dirty and stuck. The inconsistent velocity is a give away that your pop valve ain't working.

Great guns, can be extremely accurate.

Think I'll sell it at Kempton and buy the brilliant King Arms CO2 version.

Baz

I've got a rimfire one you can have for £100
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    I've got a rimfire one you can have for £100
    One of the Erma type ? We have a nice club range in the New Forest but only allowed to shoot sub 12 ft.lb. air rifles.

Thanks Baz

The King Arms M1 carbine certainly looks very nice but, as far as I can see, it is considered to be an airsoft Realistic Imitation Firearm which would mean you have to go through all the bollocks of the VCRA if you wanted to buy one in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    The King Arms M1 carbine certainly looks very nice but, as far as I can see, it is considered to be an airsoft Realistic Imitation Firearm which would mean you have to go through all the bollocks of the VCRA if you wanted to buy one in the UK.
    Not a problem for me.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    One of the Erma type ? We have a nice club range in the New Forest but only allowed to shoot sub 12 ft.lb. air rifles.

Thanks Baz
    This one is a Chiappa

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/f.php?id=31

Not 12 ft.ib though

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    This one is a Chiappa

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/f.php?id=31

Not 12 ft.ib though
    My GM Inland Division model did around 970 ft.lb. with Norma ammo, don't know if Norma still produce that round today, was very expensive. Looks like these Crosmans bb rifles are very popular, people after my one because of this thread.

Baz

Certainly seem popular & are advertised with proportional price tags too if in good order. I think there were aftermarket magazines available for them but they did not have the hollow storage ability of the originals. There was a wood stocked version sold in the States but I'm not sure if they made it over here or not. Might be fun to make one up out of a nice bit of timber to replace the plastic furniture. Wasn't it Batle Orders that used to be the importer/ main dealer in the UK.?

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    My GM Inland Division model did around 970 ft.lb. with Norma ammo, don't know if Norma still produce that round today, was very expensive. Looks like these Crosmans bb rifles are very popular, people after my one because of this thread.

Baz
    Real M1 Carbines are great fun, soft shooting and accurate

Such a shame we can’t own them any more