Thread: Improved D stock clean

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central

Improved D stock clean

Just picked up a 1912 improved D. Straight grip stock is filthy dirty some quite ingrained. How best should I sympathetically clean it in the first instance? Should I use stock oil on it? Cheers paul
    When your world is full of strange arrangements

And gravity won't pull you through

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi Paul l have used whitespirit in the past to get out greasey hand grime, and then just wood polish to finish off.
    ATB,
    Mick.

I used fine wire wool and meths on mine, wiped the sludge off after & then oiled with red root, came up superb, and it was in a real state when I got it, the red root really made the grain pop whilst gentle use of the wire wool cleaned it without removing all its age (darker round the pistol grip etc), I've seen many of these old stocks over cleaned, looking like new and out of keeping with the rest of the rifle.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Thanks guys I will try White spirit I think.

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    I used fine wire wool and meths on mine, wiped the sludge off after & then oiled with red root, came up superb, and it was in a real state when I got it, the red root really made the grain pop whilst gentle use of the wire wool cleaned it without removing all its age (darker round the pistol grip etc), I've seen many of these old stocks over cleaned, looking like new and out of keeping with the rest of the rifle.
    What is red root ? Thanks....
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    What is red root ? Thanks....
    This:

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I wouldn't use white spirits on it. It will strip any original finish remaining and make the stock look bleak. If its actually dirty and gummy - I would very lightly go over it with warm soapy water, you can use a toothbrush on the chequering. Then let it air dry and then very gently finest grade wirewool any areas without finish remaining, then oil it with boiled linseed or a commercial non synthetic gunstock oil. Alkanet oil is good stuff, but not too much of it.
    Last edited by silva; 31-08-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Good advice Silva. I will do that. Thanks Paul.
    Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    I wouldn't use white spirits on it. It will strip any original finish remaining and make the stock look bleak. If its actually dirty and gummy - I would very lightly go over it with warm soapy water, you can use a toothbrush on the chequering. Then let it air dry and then very gently finest grade wirewool any areas without finish remaining, then oil it with boiled linseed or a commercial non synthetic gunstock oil. Alkanet oil is good stuff, but not too much of it.