Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abbey gunlube sm50

Abbey gunlube sm50

Contacted abbey concerning their sm50 gunlube. Asked if it was ok to use on the slideing action on my skan r32. Said i was concerned as it was molybdenised silicone oil and was worried it might cause wear due to the silicon oil present. His email reply was. " i have a bottle of sm50 on the desk infront of me and it does not say silicon oil at all. Abbey sm50 has never contained silicon oil and never will" then i sent a picture of the label saying "molybdenised silicon oil" back to him. Granted this bottle is 10yrs plus years old but the "never has"quote just made me have to send the pic of the bottle label to him. Still awaiting a reply

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Contacted abbey concerning their sm50 gunlube. Asked if it was ok to use on the slideing action on my skan r32. Said i was concerned as it was molybdenised silicone oil and was worried it might cause wear due to the silicon oil present. His email reply was. " i have a bottle of sm50 on the desk infront of me and it does not say silicon oil at all. Abbey sm50 has never contained silicon oil and never will" then i sent a picture of the label saying "molybdenised silicon oil" back to him. Granted this bottle is 10yrs plus years old but the "never has"quote just made me have to send the pic of the bottle label to him. Still awaiting a reply
    It might be better to phone and ask to speak to the managing director this is what I did and he will explain that sm50 does not contain silicone but has some of the benefits of silicone oil, I got him to repeat to me that it does not contain silicone oil

Sm50

Under absolutely no circumstances should you put in the cylinder of a spring or gas ram air rifle. The effect is to create the mother and father of all diesels. Once experienced, never ever will you do it again unless you have a mortal enemy you really really don't like, and you want to get your own back.
    And yes it is a mixture of moly and silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeon View Post
    And yes it is a mixture of moly and silicone.
    How do you know this, where did you get this info?

It used to say it on the label as above that it was "molybdenised silicone lubricant" but that no longer appears on the label, the abbey website https://www.abbeysupply.com/iqs/cpti...aning-products describes it as "does not evaporate like mineral oil" so perhaps Abbey are using a synthetic lubricant that isn't silicone based and cannot be classified as a mineral oil?
    I can find no COSHH data sheet for the product (surely they must produce one?) which may confirm or deny the presence of silicone lubricants in the mixture.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Sm50

Back in the day you could buy Abbey silicone oil, or SM50 in the same size bottles and it was very easy to mix moly and silicone to create SM50.
    On their own both are very good at what they do, but when mixed together they work against each other and fail to do as intended.
    Basically silicone for piston seals and moly for metal to metal contact and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeon View Post
    Back in the day you could buy Abbey silicone oil, or SM50 in the same size bottles and it was very easy to mix moly and silicone to create SM50.
    On their own both are very good at what they do, but when mixed together they work against each other and fail to do as intended.
    Basically silicone for piston seals and moly for metal to metal contact and nothing else.
    We know that silicone oil is for plastic and plastic to metal and moly is for metal to metal, but how do you know that sm50 has silicone in it? do you think that after all these years the managing director of abbey who makes the oil don't know that silicone is for plastic
    The manufacture says sm50 does not contain silicone oil if you don't believe them how do you know what moly has in it they might have slipped a bit of silicone in that

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    We know that silicone oil is for plastic and plastic to metal and moly is for metal to metal, but how do you know that sm50 has silicone in it? do you think that after all these years the managing director of abbey who makes the oil don't know that silicone is for plastic
    The manufacture says sm50 does not contain silicone oil if you don't believe them how do you know what moly has in it they might have slipped a bit of silicone in that
    Becauae the label says molybdenised silicon oil.this is an old bottle but the techy guy at abbey said it has never contained silicon oil. Aint had a reply since i emailed him the picture.

Well finely had a reply from the abbey technical guy. Dear christopher.The bottle you have is 20yr old. Do not know why it says silicone oil on the label as it "should"not cointain silicone oil. I suggest you invest in new products to keep your guns in good condition! So the "never has" contained silicone oil has changed to should not contain silicone oul. Ok my bottle might be older than the 10yrs old i said but his cocky stance had changed. I think i will start buying other products as abbey are not clearly telling the truth here. Why lie to the ones who are lining their pockets for them.
    Last edited by WILBA; 05-09-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Well had the msds sheet downloaded from them. It still contains silica. Why do they lie when asked. Or do they not realise silica is the silicone in their oil

Well had the msds sheet downloaded from them. It still contains silica. Why do they lie when asked. Or do they not realise silica is the silicone in their oil
    If we accept that sm50 has 50% silicone oil in it has there ever been any reports of sm50 doing any harm to guns after all these years?

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    If we accept that sm50 has 50% silicone oil in it has there ever been any reports of sm50 doing any harm to guns after all these years?
    Barry. My point here is abbey denied they have silicone oil in their product. I have the emails off them to prove it. Then when i ask for the data sheet it shows silica as one of the contents.

Barry. My point here is abbey denied they have silicone oil in their product. I have the emails off them to prove it. Then when i ask for the data sheet it shows silica as one of the contents.
    Interesting, the managing director also told me twice about two years ago that sm50 had no silicone in it.
    I don't use sm50 but I have done years ago and not had any problems but if there really is silicone in it I would have thought that there would have been lots of problems over all the years its been on sale.
    I have always thought the stories of guns already lubed with moly seizing solid with just a few drops of silicone oil dripped in them was a myth so if sm50 does have silicone in it it proves that I was right but I still wouldn't use sm50 if its got silicone oil in it.

I would like to see a copy of the MSDS sheet if possible? Please pm or email it to me, it's for my own interest, I'm not starting any wars with anyone over it!
    As for the managing director not knowing that silica is an ingredient of "silicone oil" that doesn't really surprise me, just 'cos he's an MD doesn't mean he even did CSE chemistry does it?
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by rancidtom View Post
    I would like to see a copy of the MSDS sheet if possible? Please pm or email it to me, it's for my own interest, I'm not starting any wars with anyone over it!
    As for the managing director not knowing that silica is an ingredient of "silicone oil" that doesn't really surprise me, just 'cos he's an MD doesn't mean he even did CSE chemistry does it?
    Ok will send you it.