Thread: Newbie hello

Smile Newbie hello

Hello to all here. I'm 40 and am considering returning to my "old" hobby. 25yrs ago I was proud BSA Meteor/Webley Vulcan owner. Been in the army most of the interim time. I've been buying the airgun "rags" to try to catch up with the developments in all that time - but still not decided which route to go down - PCP or spring. My intended use will be for field use/vermin etc. At present, I've not yet approached local farmers and landowners to seek permission and to be honest, I'm not relishing doing so. It seems apparent to me that there are more "shooters" than "shoots". A worry. What's the best approach?? Any opinions here?? I might write to all local farms with my phone no and maybe offer them money (on a pay per shoot basis). Anyone had any luck doing this? Another option would be to advertise in the many local rags.
    So anyway experts, what do I buy? I have 5-600 quid. I fancy the new BSA Ultra and also the AA S400. Mind you the Theoben Fenman does it for me too. How loud are these weapons? - relatively I mean. .177 or .22? Feed me.

Thanks all. I'll keep people here posted on my advance into my past!!

Mike H Guest
    Hello and welcome Richard If you go for PCP then don't forget some of your budget will be needed for a dive tank, around £150 new. .177 or .22 ?, if you're only hunting then take your pick If you plan on doing any target work then .177 would be better.
    Mike.

Hello and welcome. For getting land to shoot on make sure you have some form of Insurance BASC or such like you will find it helps loads.
    Oh whatever you do don't open the .177 Vs. .22 can of worms, no point.

.177 is better.....
    (ducks)
    This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.. Logun Axsor Carbine .177 Weaver V24 6-24x42

A silenced PCP is very very quiet indeed. A gas-ram or springer will always be louder when silenced due to the mechanical nature of the action.

Unsilenced the PCP is probably louder - much more of a crack.

AA400 is as good as anything and for the money better than most.

As for shooting permission try just asking before offering any cash. I was well nervous about it all and considered all my options. Just ended up driving up to the 'the big house' and he said yes! First place I asked too.

Good luck!

Hi Richard

Welcome to the board

Send a PM to Gary (gary_c), he's lives in Wiltshire, possibly very near to you. I am sure he will be more than happy to let you try a few PCP's one weekend if that would help.

Welcome Richard. As a returning shooter I had to make the pcp versus springer choice. Springers have come a long way since the '80s....... I use an Air Arms Pro Sport and recommend you try one or the TX200 before you decide one way or the other. For your budget you could get a top springer and a decent scope and no messing with air tanks. Good luck.

1SHOT Guest
    WELCOME,

It's got to be PCP,go on drag yourself into the new millenium !!

Micky Spillane Guest
    Welcome Richard
    A usefull ploy for getting shoots is to place a small ad in the farming press, emphasise "free pest control" farmers can't resist a freebie I have pcp and spring piston guns. For ease of use the Excalibre .22 comes first but I am hoping to use my newly restored gas ram BSA Goldstar soon as it's self contained and magazine fed

Welcome Richard

I'd say paying for a shoot should be the absolute last resort. With a little politeness and persistence, there's no reason why you shouldn't get one for free.

All the best

Lionel

Jackel is offline Welding guru and moderator to the stars
    Hi Richard welcome to the nut house p,m me your email address or email me at carldshell@yahoo.co.uk and I'll reply with some letters I use to gain shooting rights
    The impossible I do immediately, miracles take 24 hours..

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE,IT JUST COSTS MORE