Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA lightning

BSA lightning

Evening all,

I still like the look of the lightning. I remember when they first came out (Brummy ones) the magazine's seemed to love them. I have always wanted one.

As soon as they become Spanish? made, most people advise against buying one. Are they not exactly the same parts/design or was the internal design changed? I can't believe they are that bad as surely they'd stop making them if they didn't sell. Or is this wishful thinking....

Has anyone recently bought a new one and what do you think of it? Even better, has anyone tried a new one next to an original one? If it's the same parts and design as the original one, how can it be assembled so differently. It's only a spring and grease, is it not.

I've bought new weihrauchs recently and they weren't as good as I remembered.... The 35 had a fault in the cylinder and the 99 is good however took a lot of fettling to fix the well known design flaw of the dreaded graunch.

A lot of people mention the new lightning isn't good, but what are the specific bits that people don't like?

Part of me still wants one but I'm in two minds. Trouble I have is shops dont let you have a shoot in the back these days before buying (I can understand this). Opinions appreciated.

You hit the nail on the head "I like the look of the Lightning ". That's why they sell, they look good BUT shoot sxxt. I struggled on with one a few years back, the XL Tactical version, couldn't hit a barn door with it. I then bought a HW95 wow, chalk and cheese springs to mind. Imo DON'T DO IT
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I recently bought an old Supersport Custom which is a hard model to find and has certain refinements over the standard SS or Lightning, I've fitted a .25
    Lightning barrel to it and it's ruddy superb, so it may be worth trying to find an early Brum built model.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I have two of the older brum Lightnings, one in .177 and a .25 version.
    The .177 has had very little use and is a bit lively at 11.6ish Ft/lbs,I will detune it to 10ft/lbs and see how it performs.The .25 version is much nicer to shoot with and is doing 11.7 FT/lbs, it as had a bit more use.In the smaller cal they do require a good technique and shoot better unsupported ,they are a light weight springer and most people give up on them because they are a bit difficult to master.
    I have not had much experience with the newer Lightnings.
    Les..

Ive owned both a Brummy and spanish Lightning. Both imo decent guns, the Brummy one has a slightly better trigger though I had to replace the guide and Spring to rid it of twang, it also has the silly dampa dovetail rail that's a bitch to remove if you want to access the piston. The Spanish one has the easily removable dovetail rail and had a better out of the box firing cycle, it's trigger had some creep but consistent let off. The blueing and finish on them both are excellent, more stylish stocks than similar priced HW's, both mine are/were .22. I sold the Spanish one only because the Brummy one is tactical stock with studs fitted. At the end of the day both have Brummy forged barrels that take some beating. I would recommend them.
    Ps I think my best hw is a 90, so what do I know!

Lightning
    OK in 22 at 10.5 ftlbs as a ‘garden gun’ massively over sprung in 177, and most of the BSA s seem to shoot OK in .25, though imo this is an absolutely pointless cal at UK power as well selected 22 ammo does absolutely everything better from my experience-

The Webley Vulcan’s then Exocet etc a much better rifle than the Lightning

I’m currently thinking the Cometa Fenix 400 Carbine is the best new / current dinky not too heavy ‘economy’ rifle - if at the appropriate price -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Lightning
    OK in 22 at 10.5 ftlbs as a ‘garden gun’ massively over sprung in 177, and most of the BSA s seem to shoot OK in .25, though imo this is an absolutely pointless cal at UK power as well selected 22 ammo does absolutely everything better from my experience-

The Webley Vulcan’s then Exocet etc a much better rifle than the Lightning

I’m currently thinking the Cometa Fenix 400 Carbine is the best new / current dinky not too heavy ‘economy’ rifle - if at the appropriate price -
    I too have owned both, both in .22 and to be honest the original 'brummy' was the better of the two guns, the latter being an 'XLT' which was considerably livelier than than the 'brummy' one but still a good rifle to shoot once you've mastered the hold...

I've just given my 2003/4 'Xocet' to a mate, nice accurate rifle but continually smashed scopes, my current rifle is a 2004 'HW80' and having owned all sorts of springers and PCP's over the years this one is deffo a keeper, I hate PCP's with a passion, inert, lifeless, dull, boring and more complicated than airgunning ever needs to be, my last one nearly caused me to give up airgunning altogether so I'll reiterate that, I "HATE" PCP's...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

rg627 as asked what do we think about the Bsa Lightning??, good or bad.
    We all know there are better guns available Hw99s-Webley's Longbow-Exocet-Vulcan ect ect,I know I have most of the usual suspects.
    The Lightning is not perfect but it's still a capable gun if you have a nice one.
    Les..

I have one and I can't really recommend it.

Gas ramming it improved it slightly IMO but I can't hit much with it beyond about 10 yds. Might be just me though. The effort required to cock it is pretty high as well.

Looks lovely though.

Cheers guys

Sounds like they are a marmite type rifle, with some hit and miss QC.

I think I will keep researching before committing to a purchase.

In terms of stroke and bore, is it similar to my 99?

If an Exocet damaged scopes, it will have been bollocked about with as there isn’t a lot of room inside to get an ott spring though they hit full in power in 22 , unlike the BSA Lightening.....
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

In general people seem to favour the Birmingham built guns, my current one (Ive had several), is featured in this and last months AGW. It was bought as an experiment to see if i could get it all finished for £100.
    The gun shoots very well, handles nicely - a no frills sporter. Ive always been a supersport fan, but I would advise on getting a .22.

Ok

Thanks for the input guys.

How did it go? Was it a rebuild?

Its was a mechanical rebuild, fitting guides, piston seal,repair on the breech jaws etc.
    In the end it came in just over budget, but very worthwhile as although has a few cosmetic blemishes, its a really good gun.

I have just read your article.

Looks a pig to strip down. Sounds much harder than a hw.

Airgunner has a short review on a new lightning and seemed to like it. It is only a short review mind and did mention the trigger