Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BSA lightning

In reality its really not too bad, there are a couple of extra bits over the HW ie making a tool to remove the mainspring retaining pin, and getting the maxi-grip rail off.
    The rail is the thing people moan about, but it literally came off in less than a minute.

Went with my mate to buy one a few months ago and have to say that I was surprised how good it was.

It was the xl with the blacked out wooden stock. It appeared to be a well made gun, the blueing wasn't quite hw standards but the lock up was good and so was the trigger, albeit it with a little bit of creep.

I reckon you could fettle the trigger but the let off was crisp so not a major issue. What really impressed me was the firing cycle. It felt like a tuned action with not a lot of twang and smooth in the firing cycle.

Anyway I'd buy one if I was in the market for a springer because I don't think there's anything on the market quite like it when you consider how compact it is, with a silencer and the looks.

Well, i took the plunge and bought an old Brummie one...

It was dieseling terribly at first so I've rebuilt it. Shoots better but still Very hard to shoot! It seems very hold sensitive. Feels like a lovely shot cycle but hard to get groups.

I'm struggling getting a decent fitting pellet. It's .22 but most pellets I've tried seem very loose in the barrel. Rws hobbies it likes, they are a nice fit in the barrel.

What other pellets are slightly larger these days?

I really like the handling of it though and it certainly looks the business.

I tried putting in a steel top hat that I had spare but may take it out, not sure if it's helping or hindering?

I wouldnt use the steel top hat as may be increasing piston weight compounding your problems.
    Check the piston seal and breech washer, breech washers can be a bit trouble some.
    I find the JSB Exact works well in mine.
    You are right they handle extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by rg627 View Post

It was dieseling terribly at first so I've rebuilt it. Shoots better but still Very hard to shoot! It seems very hold sensitive. Feels like a lovely shot cycle but hard to get groups.

I'm struggling getting a decent fitting pellet. It's .22 but most pellets I've tried seem very loose in the barrel. Rws hobbies it likes, they are a nice fit in the barrel.

I tried putting in a steel top hat that I had spare but may take it out, not sure if it's helping or hindering?
    What FT/lbs is your gun doing with the steel top-hat fitted.? I would replace the steel T/Hat with a Delrin type and try and keep it below 11 FT/lbs..
    Try some AA fields and Falcon accuracy plus.
    Have plenty of practise with your gun, they are not easy to master but are worth it.
    Good luck with your gun.
    Regards
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by rg627 View Post

Brum Xocet?

Very good inexpensive gun. Better handling than early BSA Supersport variants, including the Lightning.

Try RWS Superfields, or big 5.52 JSBs or Defiant Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    I wouldnt use the steel top hat as may be increasing piston weight compounding your problems.
    Check the piston seal and breech washer, breech washers can be a bit trouble some.
    I find the JSB Exact works well in mine.
    You are right they handle extremely well.
    The trusty old RWS Superdomes are always worth a try in these.

And certainly worth trying a Delrin top hat, as above.

When I rebuilt an older Supersport earlier this year, I fitted a new standard breech seal, but, apparently, HW seals work very well on these and less troublesome.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Right,

Stripped it down again and removed the steel top hat. Replaced it for a plastic top hat and tried it. ...didn't make much difference to accuracy. 11 ft lbs

Tore it down again today and removed the plastic top hat. Now running as standard but I removed the 4 X steel washers that were in the piston. 10 ft lbs

Feels nice to shoot but very hard to get groups. I've cleaned the barrel and will try it tomorrow without the silencer in case pellet is clipping. Piston seal looks new but I may try a new breech seal. I've never known a Springer as hard to shoot accurately. I hope it's the breech seal!

The Lightenings are pigs
    I had an original Brummie 22 one - years back

It was tuned by Sporting Supplies ( Shaun ISP)

Ot was impossible to get it to stay over 10.5 ftlb
    It snapped the stock bolts (notoriously soft and prone to that)
    Shite trigger

The barrel was great and very unfussy .....

Like everyone has said the Webley Exocet etc much better

Or just buy an hw 95 which now have short barrels as a factory option

People have put better reports on here about the latest gas ram BSA’s - I cantycomment as no experience

I remember various Lightenings turning up at a club I attended for years, always inexperienced shooters.
    No one could ever shoot them. The 177 is massively oversprung
    If you have one a 10ftlb plinker/ ratter in 22 is as good as it gets from the original ones
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

I had lightning once. Feels like an alcoholic announcment that quote. Would i have another! Nope id rather be whipped naked in my town square as that would be less emotionaly painful. I offered mine to the local scrappy when i failed to sell it for the 4th time. He said he don't take tat

Thumbs up

I had an XL and a mk1 type (Shorter fatter moderator)

I took both to the range and couldn't hit the bull but the grouping was good- Just five inches to the right with both guns as they both had 11mm mounts!!

I sold the XL to a relative that wanted one badly..

I bought a set of windage adjustable mounts but then never got back to the range (Only went about three times in two years!!) but i'm pretty sure once set up it'll perform fine..

I also bought a BSA Supersport in .25" cal, never realised just how nicely the Supersport shot although I had a problem finding pellets that didn't have to be hammered in. Eventually found out that the .25" Marksman pellets fitted the bore perfectly- All the others I tried were too large on the front end

Cheers, john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/