Thread: 10m home range project.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Can I just ask why the tunnel? Noise or wind or safety?
    I imagine it will echo and resonate without some sound deadening liner?
    What do the motors do? Target changers?

The tube we have bought is bright and shiny galvanised steel, so lighting is going to give no problems.
    The tunnel will be lagged on the out side to protect against sound and radiating heat.
    The motors are used for the whizzer targets.
    I am using conduit tube for windless condition, sound, safety, privacy etc.

I've thought the whole lot through and there is a reason why for everything, even having the range in the first place.
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 06-09-2018 at 05:00 PM.

You'll have a very hard and reflective interior and with top and bottom parallel and sides parallel. This all leans towards a potential noise problem, IMHO. It would be prudent to allow access to the inside once it's assembled; if nothing else put something down the tube that breaks up the continuous flat surfaces.

Our plastic barrel tube mentioned above had five 45 gallon steel drums joined end to end and with the tops and bottoms removed to form the entry part where the shooter was positioned. We soon had to stick some old carpet on the inside of the oil drums.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You'll have a very hard and reflective interior and with top and bottom parallel and sides parallel. This all leans towards a potential noise problem, IMHO. It would be prudent to allow access to the inside once it's assembled; if nothing else put something down the tube that breaks up the continuous flat surfaces.

Our plastic barrel tube mentioned above had five 45 gallon steel drums joined end to end and with the tops and bottoms removed to form the entry part where the shooter was positioned. We soon had to stick some old carpet on the inside of the oil drums.
    As you say, it will be a bit loud as is. The out side lagging will take care of the top and sides. The floor will have some thin white carpet on it on the inside. Don't worry, it's designed in my head. I may even put a very small extractor fan at the back on the bottom for a little through ventilation.

I used to lag duct work in building to kill the noise (not as loud as an airgun shooting through it mind you)

we used glass wool that had a ali foil on the outside .

like this http://www.rock-wool-insulation.com/...s-blanket.html

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I used to lag duct work in building to kill the noise (not as loud as an airgun shooting through it mind you)

we used glass wool that had a ali foil on the outside .

like this http://www.rock-wool-insulation.com/...s-blanket.html
    Thats a great tip, I'll follow that up, will be dead easy to wrap it in that then some roof felt over the top, thank you ld grin:

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Thats a great tip, I'll follow that up, will be dead easy to wrap it in that then some roof felt over the top, thank you ld grin:
    If using out side we used venture clad . A bit pricey though http://www.insulationandlagging.co.u...sive-Jacketing

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    [...]

I've thought the whole lot through and there is a reason why for everything, even having the range in the first place.
    For those who can't get a measured 10M range at home, air rifle and pistol cards scaled to 6 yards are also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    For those who can't get a measured 10M range at home, air rifle and pistol cards scaled to 6 yards are also available.
    Are they scaled or are they 6yd targets?

The paper 6yd targets used for comps only scale the black, but the 10 is a lot easier to hit. I used to shoot 550av ex 600 integer at 10m, far from stunning... at 6yd I used to shoot 590+

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Are they scaled or are they 6yd targets?

The paper 6yd targets used for comps only scale the black, but the 10 is a lot easier to hit. I used to shoot 550av ex 600 integer at 10m, far from stunning... at 6yd I used to shoot 590+
    I dunno, Rob - is my answer to that.

As you allude to, they are "Official NSRA 6yrd Targets" (Air 7 and Air 8 on the NSRA shop website).

Are they easier? I'm not sure, although I'm sure I've read that some folks have found the opposite!?

Bob (Zooma) may be able to answer, as he runs the excellent MPL 6 yard postal comps' on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I dunno, Rob - is my answer to that.

As you allude to, they are "Official NSRA 6yrd Targets" (Air 7 and Air 8 on the NSRA shop website).

Are they easier? I'm not sure, although I'm sure I've read that some folks have found the opposite!?

Bob (Zooma) may be able to answer, as he runs the excellent MPL 6 yard postal comps' on here.
    Yep, they're easier. If you look at the ring sizes they're the same as 10m just the black is smaller... these aren't to scale but you get the picture.

I've been looking for scaled 10m targets, hence the question. I was told it was too difficult to print the 10 dot.

To add to the complication there's some 10m targets where the 10 is the same as the 9 ring on the NSRA 10m targets, which does make the 6 yard more difficult in comparison. I know they're being used in some clubs.

6yd easier? Yes for NSRA cards. The black circle is scaled but the rings are the same size.
    Clipping the black on 10m gives 4 but on the 6yd it's 7.
    So if shot at the correct distance, an amateur club shooter averaging 65% at 10 m would average maybe 80% at 6 yds.

EDIT: Sorry its just been answered!
    Last edited by TenMetrePeter; 06-09-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Well that would be bloody depressing for somebody who's scores are pathetic on the NSRA 6 yard cards!

Not that I know anybody quite as tragic as that...

Please carry on with the 10M range talk.