Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10m home range project.

10m home range project.

Hi,

Thought I'd start this thread on my new project, a self contained 10m home range in my garden.

Last night I bought this https://www.keter.com/en/manor-6x5dd

We are lucky enough to have an air conditioning ducting manufacture in our town, I had a quick chat with the owner and he did me a great deal. I now have 6 lengths of 900mmx450mm ready to bolt together for a 10.2m long galv steel range

I also had a bit of a shopping moment on Crapbay and bought all the parts needed to make two whizzers.

If I can work out how to post pics, I'll get some up.

Sounds like a good set up you are building, i shoot targets at 10m at home, but that is the length of my garage.

Rob

A ten metre garage! Did the last occupier have his own bus??
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Sounds like you are planning to shoot down a 10 metre metal tube if I understand you correctly which seems like an interesting solution to creating a range at home
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    A ten metre garage! Did the last occupier have his own bus??
    Lol, garage & workshop, are just under 10m, but if i stand over the threshold i have 10m.

I have plans to build another 36ft long by 15ft wide garage(i have the land) as i currently pay for storage of my machines, this will have a range to one side of it.

I'll up date the list as the bits come in.
    I'll give an explanation of how I make the range as I go.
    I'll also list where I got the parts from.

It may help others wanting to do the same thing?

Items that have now arrived :-

10m range galv conduit (local Air conditioning tubing manufacture).
    Whizzer motors from Crapbay (Durable 12V Front Windscreen Wiper Motor For Vauxhall ASTRA G Mk4(98-04)23000826)
    Whizzer switches from Crapbay (On)-Off-(On) Momentary Rectangle Rocker Switch DPDT Crane Toy Winch).

Rich at Shebear has something similar, but I believe it’s out to 50yds!!

Yes we had a tube, about 400mm diameter, made from plastic barrels that we cut the bottoms off. The plastic barrels had a top collar where the lid fits, and we made the holes in the base the right size so that the collar of one barrel was a good fit in the next barrel's "hole in the bottom"! Carry this on for many barrels and you have a tube.

As it happens that setup ( which went to 42 yards and was going to be extended ) has been decommissioned as we are currently building a new facility giving four covered lanes to 25 metres and two full height lanes to 50 metres that will be wind-free under most conditions.

To the OP, the first time you shoot in your tube, don't be startled by the noise.

Our barrels being blue, it meant there was only blue light (short wavelength) to illuminate the target card. Good FT scopes would rangefind the target card at 40 yards whereas we knew the card was at a measured distance of 42 yards. It just shows how you can rangefind a target differently in different light conditions.

Can I just ask why the tunnel? Noise or wind or safety?
    I imagine it will echo and resonate without some sound deadening liner?
    What do the motors do? Target changers?

The tube we have bought is bright and shiny galvanised steel, so lighting is going to give no problems.
    The tunnel will be lagged on the out side to protect against sound and radiating heat.
    The motors are used for the whizzer targets.
    I am using conduit tube for windless condition, sound, safety, privacy etc.

I've thought the whole lot through and there is a reason why for everything, even having the range in the first place.
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 06-09-2018 at 05:00 PM.

You'll have a very hard and reflective interior and with top and bottom parallel and sides parallel. This all leans towards a potential noise problem, IMHO. It would be prudent to allow access to the inside once it's assembled; if nothing else put something down the tube that breaks up the continuous flat surfaces.

Our plastic barrel tube mentioned above had five 45 gallon steel drums joined end to end and with the tops and bottoms removed to form the entry part where the shooter was positioned. We soon had to stick some old carpet on the inside of the oil drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    [...]

I've thought the whole lot through and there is a reason why for everything, even having the range in the first place.
    For those who can't get a measured 10M range at home, air rifle and pistol cards scaled to 6 yards are also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    For those who can't get a measured 10M range at home, air rifle and pistol cards scaled to 6 yards are also available.
    Are they scaled or are they 6yd targets?

The paper 6yd targets used for comps only scale the black, but the 10 is a lot easier to hit. I used to shoot 550av ex 600 integer at 10m, far from stunning... at 6yd I used to shoot 590+

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Are they scaled or are they 6yd targets?

The paper 6yd targets used for comps only scale the black, but the 10 is a lot easier to hit. I used to shoot 550av ex 600 integer at 10m, far from stunning... at 6yd I used to shoot 590+
    I dunno, Rob - is my answer to that.

As you allude to, they are "Official NSRA 6yrd Targets" (Air 7 and Air 8 on the NSRA shop website).

Are they easier? I'm not sure, although I'm sure I've read that some folks have found the opposite!?

Bob (Zooma) may be able to answer, as he runs the excellent MPL 6 yard postal comps' on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I dunno, Rob - is my answer to that.

As you allude to, they are "Official NSRA 6yrd Targets" (Air 7 and Air 8 on the NSRA shop website).

Are they easier? I'm not sure, although I'm sure I've read that some folks have found the opposite!?

Bob (Zooma) may be able to answer, as he runs the excellent MPL 6 yard postal comps' on here.
    Yep, they're easier. If you look at the ring sizes they're the same as 10m just the black is smaller... these aren't to scale but you get the picture.

I've been looking for scaled 10m targets, hence the question. I was told it was too difficult to print the 10 dot.

To add to the complication there's some 10m targets where the 10 is the same as the 9 ring on the NSRA 10m targets, which does make the 6 yard more difficult in comparison. I know they're being used in some clubs.