Thread: 10m home range project.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You'll have a very hard and reflective interior and with top and bottom parallel and sides parallel. This all leans towards a potential noise problem, IMHO. It would be prudent to allow access to the inside once it's assembled; if nothing else put something down the tube that breaks up the continuous flat surfaces.

Our plastic barrel tube mentioned above had five 45 gallon steel drums joined end to end and with the tops and bottoms removed to form the entry part where the shooter was positioned. We soon had to stick some old carpet on the inside of the oil drums.
    As you say, it will be a bit loud as is. The out side lagging will take care of the top and sides. The floor will have some thin white carpet on it on the inside. Don't worry, it's designed in my head. I may even put a very small extractor fan at the back on the bottom for a little through ventilation.

I used to lag duct work in building to kill the noise (not as loud as an airgun shooting through it mind you)

we used glass wool that had a ali foil on the outside .

like this http://www.rock-wool-insulation.com/...s-blanket.html

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I used to lag duct work in building to kill the noise (not as loud as an airgun shooting through it mind you)

we used glass wool that had a ali foil on the outside .

like this http://www.rock-wool-insulation.com/...s-blanket.html
    Thats a great tip, I'll follow that up, will be dead easy to wrap it in that then some roof felt over the top, thank you ld grin:

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Thats a great tip, I'll follow that up, will be dead easy to wrap it in that then some roof felt over the top, thank you ld grin:
    If using out side we used venture clad . A bit pricey though http://www.insulationandlagging.co.u...sive-Jacketing

Anything soft will soak up sound. Carpet, foam, old duvet etc.

Ensure you have enough room to swing the rifle from above and from the side. Depending on your level think about how much room you'll need to put the rifle on a stand between shots and a mirror. A target whizzer would save you loads of time. Lighting that works with scatt etc.

Make the range usable and you'll use it more. 10m at home is a really nice thing to have.

More bits turned up while I was at the Spring Bash

Power supply from Crapbay, (AC100-240V to DC 12V 5/6/10A Power Supply Adaptor Transformer)
    Shed from Amazon (Keter Manor Outdoor Plastic Garden Storage Shed, Beige, 6 x 5 ft)
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 09-09-2018 at 04:13 AM.

More bits in:-

Crapbay rope (100M 4.5mm White Nylon Pull Start Starter Recoil Cord Rope Lawnmower)
    Crapbay Pulleys (105mm Black Bearing Pulley Wheel Cable Gym Equipment Part Wearproof HL)