Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10m home range project.

6yd easier? Yes for NSRA cards. The black circle is scaled but the rings are the same size.
    Clipping the black on 10m gives 4 but on the 6yd it's 7.
    So if shot at the correct distance, an amateur club shooter averaging 65% at 10 m would average maybe 80% at 6 yds.

EDIT: Sorry its just been answered!
    Last edited by TenMetrePeter; 06-09-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Well that would be bloody depressing for somebody who's scores are pathetic on the NSRA 6 yard cards!

Not that I know anybody quite as tragic as that...

Please carry on with the 10M range talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You'll have a very hard and reflective interior and with top and bottom parallel and sides parallel. This all leans towards a potential noise problem, IMHO. It would be prudent to allow access to the inside once it's assembled; if nothing else put something down the tube that breaks up the continuous flat surfaces.

Our plastic barrel tube mentioned above had five 45 gallon steel drums joined end to end and with the tops and bottoms removed to form the entry part where the shooter was positioned. We soon had to stick some old carpet on the inside of the oil drums.
    As you say, it will be a bit loud as is. The out side lagging will take care of the top and sides. The floor will have some thin white carpet on it on the inside. Don't worry, it's designed in my head. I may even put a very small extractor fan at the back on the bottom for a little through ventilation.

I used to lag duct work in building to kill the noise (not as loud as an airgun shooting through it mind you)

we used glass wool that had a ali foil on the outside .

like this http://www.rock-wool-insulation.com/...s-blanket.html

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I used to lag duct work in building to kill the noise (not as loud as an airgun shooting through it mind you)

we used glass wool that had a ali foil on the outside .

like this http://www.rock-wool-insulation.com/...s-blanket.html
    Thats a great tip, I'll follow that up, will be dead easy to wrap it in that then some roof felt over the top, thank you ld grin:

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Thats a great tip, I'll follow that up, will be dead easy to wrap it in that then some roof felt over the top, thank you ld grin:
    If using out side we used venture clad . A bit pricey though http://www.insulationandlagging.co.u...sive-Jacketing

Anything soft will soak up sound. Carpet, foam, old duvet etc.

Ensure you have enough room to swing the rifle from above and from the side. Depending on your level think about how much room you'll need to put the rifle on a stand between shots and a mirror. A target whizzer would save you loads of time. Lighting that works with scatt etc.

Make the range usable and you'll use it more. 10m at home is a really nice thing to have.

More bits turned up while I was at the Spring Bash

Power supply from Crapbay, (AC100-240V to DC 12V 5/6/10A Power Supply Adaptor Transformer)
    Shed from Amazon (Keter Manor Outdoor Plastic Garden Storage Shed, Beige, 6 x 5 ft)
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 09-09-2018 at 04:13 AM.

More bits in:-

Crapbay rope (100M 4.5mm White Nylon Pull Start Starter Recoil Cord Rope Lawnmower)
    Crapbay Pulleys (105mm Black Bearing Pulley Wheel Cable Gym Equipment Part Wearproof HL)

Talking

Looking forward to seeing this

How are you going to support the duct or will you only shoot prone, with the duct on the ground ?

The duct will be on 4x4 posts concreated into the ground, two at the end and single triangulated legs on the way down. The target centre will be NSRA 55".

I made the alloy drive bosses today for the motor shaft and cast the resin around them. I then turned the resin into pulleys. I also turned up and bolted on the drive pulleys onto the main cord pulleys. A pulley set and motor were set-up over 8 foot and tested. It was OK, but I'd like it faster (can't stand waiting for whizzers!) So I've now got two more resin blocks casting and bearings ordered so I can make a pair of step-up pulleys. These will basically double the speed of the cord pulleys. If it's a bit fast on the test bed, I can turn down the large motor pulley, that'll reduce the controll box size and slow the speed, win win

Maybe I can run a thread over in the gallery section here so I can post pics as I go?
    Am I allowed to do that?
    Or how can I post pics in this thread?

The ferets will be moved over tomorrow and the plastic shed will be going up.
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 12-09-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Chute !

With all this lagging and reflexion problems perhaps something like those grey plastic chutes they use for dropping
    rubbish down into skips might be better .

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    With all this lagging and reflexion problems perhaps something like those grey plastic chutes they use for dropping
    rubbish down into skips might be better .
    OK, I'll buy some of those instead. Thanks for the tip.

You post images either by putting them on a host site like "imgbb" & copy/paste a link code, which I prefer to do to keep the actual post smaller.
    or host the picture direct in to your post using the "insert image" link in the middle row above the dialogue box 4th from right.