Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's off to the Midland?

Who's off to the Midland?

Right, one week to go, who's going then? I'm am

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Debating.

Used to go every year but I haven't been for around 10 years.
    Master Debater

Midland

If it was anything like last year!!! Not me. I hear even SFS are not going this year? If that is the case then even less to look at. Mach 1.5

No.

They're a shadow of their former selves.
    The high prices, lack of deals, and crap parking arrangements have reduced interest over the years.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Midland Game Fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    If it was anything like last year!!! Not me. I hear even SFS are not going this year? If that is the case then even less to look at. Mach 1.5
    I went with Shaun Hill of ISP last year. I hadn't been there since 1996, when I stopped shooting.

What a load of dross on some of the Stalls, handbags, clothes that sort of stuff - poor quality as well.

But the shocker was the lack of decent Trade Stands on the Gunmakers row.
    Looks like someone got greedy and over-priced the stands and to make up for the lack of stands they got their money back through ticket price increases.

Am I going this year - not a chance.

Mark H.

Been going since I was around ten years old, it used to be the highlight of my year. In later years I used to work there and even then still enjoyed it as the atmosphere was great and there was tons to look at.
    Haven’t been for the last few years and according to most, I haven’t missed much.
    Shame.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

R30Jeff is offline Not Smarter Than The Average Bear
    I shall be popping over with the family, mostly because some how I've wangled free tickets, I'd not bother otherwise after being disappointed before

Been to either the Midland of the CLA/(New Game Fair at the end of July) for years. Was away for the July fair this year but even so, will not be going to the Midland. Shockingly disappointing the last few times I was there. Although I do enjoy the wee train ride through the wood......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi-I4bd0wQs

I went for many years but not for the last 3, ticket prices were too much for a family day out (and i suspect charges to set up a stall) it just starts out as an expensive shopping trip before you have even bought anything. Traffic and parking arrangements were not as good as they could be, number of the type of stands i wanted to visit diminished.
    If SFS have dropped out this year then it speaks volumes. I would rather save the admission price and visit them instead.
    just my thoughts
    Nige
    BSA Superten BBK (Blueprinted), BSA Ultra SS Regged Bullpup,BSA Meteor Mk6,
    Webley Alecto, Tanfoglio Witness, 6mm Umarex Race Gun 6mm ASG CZ75

Longbenton North Tyneside. +Dinnington FTC.
    No Im not its just a massive dog show !!!!!!!

Really sad to keep reading these threads each year.

It used to be a massive date on my calendar. It always fell at the end of the cricket season. I never shot in the summer but shot every week in the winter. So the Midland's was like a gateway from the cricket season into the shooting season for me.

I'd get there early with a lurcher and grab a bacon bap and a brew and sit under a tree with the dog. Then have a wander around gun row. Then have a wander around the rest of the place. Then a beer under a tree listening to some music. Then another wander around gun row. I'd always bump into someone I knew.

Last few times I went the airgun side was woeful. The other stalls were very repetitive and mainly market traders flogging sh1te.

I really miss the old Midlands.

I heard it’ll be the last one at Weston Park too, so if that’s true it really is the end of an era.
    What these shows need is a drastic reduction in the price to rent a stall/pitch.
    If the all in cost of a small pitch in the Airgun Expo was say £500, there’d be triple the number of traders there and the small, cottage industries or people who think they may have a saleable product or service, would be more tempted to book a stall and display. The larger stalls would also then be available for less money as more smaller stalls would be booked.
    The owners / organisers would make just as much money, if not more. They could actually increase the entry fee if there was triple the amount of traders exhibiting. I always went with the attitude of, ‘stuff the entry price, it’s a once a year event and I’m going to enjoy it’.

But that became increasingly difficult to do when 80% of the stuff on show was cheap Chinese tools and snide clothing.

It’s a shame it went the way it did.

It’s not really the cost of the space which puts exhibitors off. It’s the aggravation, discomfort and cost of set up. And for what at the end of the day? In summary, not very profitable and a pain in the arse! People have better things to do on a weekend these days.
    FX Cyclone .22 + Hawke Sidewinder30 4-16x50 (SR6)

I went yesterday first time for about 6yrs as im always abroad when it on, very poor not just the shooting side but the rest of the show as well . More like a big open air market than a game show.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashash View Post
    It’s not really the cost of the space which puts exhibitors off. It’s the aggravation, discomfort and cost of set up. And for what at the end of the day? In summary, not very profitable and a pain in the arse! People have better things to do on a weekend these days.
    The tent that I used to work in cost £6000. Then there’s wages for the people who work in it. Then there’s transportation of stock. Then there’s loss through the gangs of thieves that always haunt the place - that’s an awful lot money to recoup before the business has made even.
    Lowering the cost of the pitch would be a great first step in the right direction to breathe some life back into it all.