Thread: Old Kent Gun Maker / Gun Shop

Old Kent Gun Maker / Gun Shop

Does anyone recall Alfred Sanders, a Gun shop based in Maidstone? This gun maker was active between the wars and the business was still trading during the early to mid 1950s, possibly still in family hands or perhaps under new ownership but the same old name. A number of shotguns marked A Sanders are known, as well as a 1950s BSA Club with a stock roundel bearing this name (at least I think it is A Sanders, as the roundel has faded over time). I have some info from the Boothroyd and Walter directories but there's no substitute for personal recollection/anecdotes.

If this business is still within the living memory of some, I would be very interested in learning a little more about them and when the shop finally closed.

Kind regards,

John
    Last edited by Josie & John; 15-09-2018 at 05:50 AM.

I remember the shop quite well, it's now a posh Chinese restaurant and has been a fair while. I will try and check the dates....my good friend used to do their gunsmithing in later years A J S guns.

Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    I remember the shop quite well, it's now a posh Chinese restaurant and has been a fair while. I will try and check the dates....my good friend used to do their gunsmithing in later years A J S guns.
    This is just the kind of detail I am looking for. It is very kind of you to check.

I've googled the premises and it looked as though a hairdresser was/is also located at 79 Bank Street - what a waste of a historical building!

Kind regards,

John

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Morning John,yes I remember it well although by the 80’s it was named Clifford and Sanders and was indeed down Bank Street. It was quite a dark shop once inside,I remember going in and staring for ages at the Webley range of air pistols (Hurricane/Tempest/Typhoon) on their little clear Perspex stands with ‘Webley’ written down the front in yellow. The shop as you can imagine also sold Fishing gear including bits for fly tieing,you could buy Squirrels tails for this purpose but I used to buy them to attach to string and my cat used to love chasing them. I’m not sure when the shop closed,possibly early 1990’s. Maidstone is steeped in History and finding out more info I’d imagine is likely. I believe the tourist info people are based in the Town hall which is actually next to Bank street and Maidstone Museum has some very helpfull staff who may be able to point you in the right direction. Atb Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    Morning John,yes I remember it well although by the 80’s it was named Clifford and Sanders and was indeed down Bank Street. It was quite a dark shop once inside,I remember going in and staring for ages at the Webley range of air pistols (Hurricane/Tempest/Typhoon) on their little clear Perspex stands with ‘Webley’ written down the front in yellow. The shop as you can imagine also sold Fishing gear including bits for fly tieing,you could buy Squirrels tails for this purpose but I used to buy them to attach to string and my cat used to love chasing them. I’m not sure when the shop closed,possibly early 1990’s. Maidstone is steeped in History and finding out more info I’d imagine is likely. I believe the tourist info people are based in the Town hall which is actually next to Bank street and Maidstone Museum has some very helpfull staff who may be able to point you in the right direction. Atb Phil
    Hi Phil,

Thank you for your most interesting reply. Your recollection brings a retailer stamp on a 1950s BSA Club I have just bought to life. It sounds like the kind of shop we all used to visit and which seems to be scarcer and scarcer today.

I'll have to make a trip down one day as I don't believe I have ever visited Maidstone other than passing by on the way to somewhere else.

Thanks again,

John

other than passing by on the way to somewhere else.

Best way to visit these days.....more houses and traffic....

I was brought up in Medway....(top of the hill) at one stage we had 6 gun shops within 6 miles.....3 were the classic racks and racks of guns and dusty boxes of magical bits....sadly now all gone....you could have bought anything from a Gat gun to a 470 rifle and so many shotguns in every gauge.

Alfred Sanders , 79 Bank St, Maidstone , Kent. 1897- 1942
    A. Sanders (Maidstone) same address 1955-70 .
    Then 85 Bank St. 1976 - 93.

It appears that some of the family were involved in a bus business after WW2.

Not sure why there's gaps in the dates.

All info from "British Gunmakers volume two" by Nigel Brown.
    Rust never sleeps !

Quote Originally Posted by El Garro View Post
    Alfred Sanders , 79 Bank St, Maidstone , Kent. 1897- 1942
    A. Sanders (Maidstone) same address 1955-70 .
    Then 85 Bank St. 1976 - 93.

It appears that some of the family were involved in a bus business after WW2.

Not sure why there's gaps in the dates.

All info from "British Gunmakers volume two" by Nigel Brown.
    Thank you for that- interesting about the move to 85 Bank St.

Kind regards,

John

I couldn't say for sure, but sometimes as towns were developed and new shops/houses were built, the street numbers were changed so it may not have been a change of premises.
    That happened a lot in the Birmingham gun quarter but it's only a guess with this one.
    Rust never sleeps !

Quote Originally Posted by El Garro View Post
    I couldn't say for sure, but sometimes as towns were developed and new shops/houses were built, the street numbers were changed so it may not have been a change of premises.
    That happened a lot in the Birmingham gun quarter but it's only a guess with this one.
    Yes, you're quite right. I'll need to do some more digging with local historians but any more personal recollections would be very welcome.

Kind regards,

John

The shop of 76-93 vintage as mentioned above would be the one I remember. Looking at new and old photos of shop fronts I couldn’t picture the now hairdressers at 73 Bank Street being the shop I remember however when viewing number 85 (now called Eden) it all clicked into place with its distinctive overhang and door. Atb Phil

Further thought.....there may be a clue as to a move to 85 Bank Street in 1976, it was the year that the Stoneborough Centre (now the Mall) opened providing many new modern units. I imagine that created a huge change in Maidstone virtually over night with many businesses relocating to the new shopping centre leaving previously occupied premises up for sale/rent. Atb Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    Further thought.....there may be a clue as to a move to 85 Bank Street in 1976, it was the year that the Stoneborough Centre (now the Mall) opened providing many new modern units. I imagine that created a huge change in Maidstone virtually over night with many businesses relocating to the new shopping centre leaving previously occupied premises up for sale/rent. Atb Phil
    Thanks Phil - you've been really helpful and have reminded me what a fountain of knowledge this site can be.

Kind regards,

John

And to think, this thread started off with two words ''old kent'' , thought it was a pm to me