Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hw77k Spring options

Hw77k Spring options

Gents my dad has finally let me pull his '77k in bits dispite him claiming "its still shooting fine"
    It sounds like someone on a pogo stick !
    It's a .22, 1990 vintage and I bought it for him 20years ago obviously second hand.
    It's got 25mm internals and what could be an "ox" Spring.
    Standard steel Spring guide with nothing on the piston end of the Spring?
    Not sure if that's standard or not.
    I'm saying could be an ox because I know some older '77 had square section springs as standard
    But this Spring is massive with about 2 1/2-3" of preload it's also not longer straight
    I plan on making a guide and top hat so with that in mind
    What Spring should I try?
    I have no complaints about Titan xs springs but they list one for a 97 and one for a 77
    Any suggestions what to go for?
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

I have a 0.22" HW77 rifle rather than karbine that I bought new in 1987.
    After about a year I fitted a Maximiser kit that included an Ox spring, guides, piston sleeve and assortment of lubricants.
    The kit guaranteed a smoother, more consistant shot cycle whilst keeping the gun within the limit. I never checked the muzzle velocity as nobody bothered in those days!

Twenty-five years later I bought a Combro and finally checked it. Needless to say it was running hot!
    I dismantled it expecting to find damage to the internals after all of the negative reports I had read about the Ox springs. However, I could find no problems and the rifle had always shot well. Maybe, much of the bad reports were based on some people jamming the biggest possible spring into the gun in a quest for power. Mine had far less preload than the original Weihrauch spring.

I decided that I would try a modern tuning kit to see how things had moved on during those years.
    I bought an appropriate 25mm V Mach spring and guides, piston sleeve and seal etc and reassembled the rifle. Fortunately, I was now equipped with a chrono, because the muzzle energy kept climbing over the limit as the seal bedded in. I systematically removed all of the preload washers and still the gun climbed over the limit. Finally I collapsed the end coil of the spring which reduced the power to an acceptable level. I have since fine tuned the output by removing material from the thickness of the top hat and fitting a single shim washer, which I am able to change for summer and winter temperatures.
    I understand enough now to appreciate that being a long barrelled 0.22" means that it makes power more easily that a 0.177" karbine and much of the problem emanates from this.
    I like the V Mach spring because it is short and allows the gun to be dismantled very easily. However, I could probably have done much the same process with the Ox spring that I had been using and saved myself the cost of the kit.
    It is also being suggested that the shorter, thicker springs produce a snappier shot cycle and I may yet go back to the original Weihrauch spring that I removed all those years ago!

I am in the middle of exactly what you are doing, after some deliberating and speaking to Jim Tyler Ive gone down for the factory spring and custtom guides.
    Im afraid you will have to wait for next months Airgun World for the full story, although I can assure you its positive

Where would I find a factory Spring?
    I mentioned Titan springs because there easily available.
    As I'm going to make the guides myself all I want is a Spring that's a good fit in the piston
    Finding a suitable Spring isn't easy as I've got no standard Spring to compare to.
    I don't even know the wire diameter or no. Of coils on a standard Spring
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Chambers, Knibbs or Tinbum should all be good for a standard spring.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Right done.
    I've ordered a Spring and breech seal from chambers
    And 300mm of delrin.
    Thanks for the advise
    Good deals with:

Good man, you know it makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    Good man, you know it makes sense
    I hope so.
    I've got a good standard piston seal to go in there and I've done a bit of polishing and de burring
    I hope this effort is worth while
    Good deals with:

A 25mm '77, accordingly polished, standard spring and good fitting guide and top hat, new seals and thoughtful relube is a joy to behold. Enjoy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Im sure disappointment will not be something to factor in here.

Hw77k

Ive just finished doing mine yesterday, its a 1990 HW77k in .22. Tinbum kit fitted with a weihrauch spring. Shooting very nice now. Been a while since i shot a springer but am getting 5p sized groups at 25yds with it. And loving it all over again. Good luck with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    A 25mm '77, accordingly polished, standard spring and good fitting guide and top hat, new seals and thoughtful relube is a joy to behold. Enjoy.
    ^^ What he said,

My 1993 77k after a degrease, debur and polish with a Tinbum Maxi kit was utterly transformed from something that was just ok to shoot into something that gives me a lot of pleasure and a hell of a lot more confidence in my abilities.

So much so that I took the scope off it and shot the Masters open sights at the NSS & Cloybank....
    My scores were crap (like my eyesight), but I guarantee I had a much better time and far more enjoyment from the day than any other shooter there!

Well all the bits have landed.
    I'm amazed how small the standard Spring is compared with the complete monster that came out.
    It's also weird how I've shot this gun quite abit (although not for 10 years) and recall it being pretty sweet to shoot??
    It must have been well over when it was first fitted.
    No wonder it sounded and felt like it did.
    I also drained the oil which was a first for me.
    Seems some expert had a go with the gun a few years ago and decided to lubricate it for my dad!
    It was full of something approaching Land Rover swivel grease.
    It was even behind the breech seal???
    Nice !
    Good deals with:

The grease content maybe a clue as to the smooth action, with your better fitted internals you will achieve the same result with the less of the sticky stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Daveo View Post

I also drained the oil which was a first for me.
    Seems some expert had a go with the gun a few years ago and decided to lubricate it for my dad!
    It was full of something approaching Land Rover swivel grease.
    It was even behind the breech seal???
    Nice !
    Slurp!