Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wad cutter pellets

Wad cutter pellets

So having got the new hw30, i have found its accurate with falcon ap's, but i will need w/c's for competitions, any suggestions ?

Rob,

I would suggest you start with something like RWS Hobby (7.1 gr.) or RWS Meisterkugeln Pistol (6.97 gr.).

I generally use RWS R10 Pistol (6.99 gr.) in my HW30S for the MPL.

I have not found the HW30S to be 'pellet fussy'.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

RWS also do a R10 wad cutter rifle version which is slightly heavier at 8.2 gr.
    RWS Geco is a cheaper wad cutter.
    john

Thanks folks.

As Russ has already suggested, the HW30 is probably best suited to the pistol weight "wadcutter" pellets rather than the heavier rifle weight types.

GECO, RWS Basic and Hobby are all good budget priced pellets that have their supporters and only come in the one weight type - so no need to worry about pistol or rifle weights.

RWS Meisterkugeln is a good value for money "premium" pellet and it is the most popular choice in our club. We also use these pellets exclusively in our Supported Air Rifle Shooting and the results we have achieved with these can be seen in the current results.

RWS R10 is a top premium choice but like the Meisterkugeln they are available in two weights and the lighter "pistol" weight would be the one to go for in your HW30S.

Premium pellets often have a choice of "size" that can be confusing, whereas the "budget" pellets usually do not. We use 4.50 size pellets in Meisterkugeln and R10 and they work well, but you could try some 4.49 if you wanted to experiment, but doubt you will be able to see any difference between them (we certainly can't).

Any of the above suggested pellets are relatively easy to find in sports and gun shops (or online) and would be a good place to start, and for 6 yard target shooting any of the above would work OK.

If you are keen enough, you could test them all (over a period of time) to see what works best in your HW30S, but always allow a few shots between changing brands for the barrel to "settle" into the new pellets alloy type/size/shape before making any final performance judgments.
    Last edited by zooma; 11-09-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Rained off work today 7 local gunshop closes on a Tuesday, but i found a tin of ecite/econ wad cutters in a box, but it does not like them one bit.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Rained off work today 7 local gunshop closes on a Tuesday, but i found a tin of ecite/econ wad cutters in a box, but it does not like them one bit.

Rob
    Funny you should say that - I never found anything that shot the Excite pellets that good either.

Any of the others suggested should work better.

.....but you are so lucky to have 7 local gunsmiths ! (even if they are all closed today!).

RWS Basics. Introduced to me by ZOOMA (Bob) and now used by a vast majority of our and Rochdale AGC club members in their pistols but as already stated the '30 is suitable for pistol pellets.
    I use them in my '30.

Oh, and they are far cheaper than R10s

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Should of been "&"....

Hw30

Another boring answer saying RWS Basics, cheap as chips & outshoot most people, in most guns,
    J.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

Haven't got the figures to hand but some chrono testing with my modded HW30S showed R10 (pistol) to give the tightest fps readings with Hobby pellets not quite as consistent but still respectable. Used exclusively for 10m/Bell Target shooting, I'd say the accuracy of both was pretty good but I'm the limiting factor in those tests.

However, Bisley Practice were absolutely terrible through my barrel with a string of 20 shots varying over 100fps high to low. Never seen a gun react so badly to a particular pellet since I tried those Prometheus things in my HW77 in the '80's.

The same tin of pellets work ok in other guns so that makes my 30 at least pretty pellet sensitive but then, the 30 isn't as well made as Weihrauch would have you believe.

I got some r10 pistol pellets yesterday, & while there picked up a used hw40....

Anyway, the r10's work well in the 30, but not so good in the 40, or my 177 80k. Falcons work well in the 30 & the 80, but the 40 seems to really like ftt's.

Rob

I got some r10 pistol pellets yesterday, & while there picked up a used hw40....

Anyway, the r10's work well in the 30, but not so good in the 40, or my 177 80k. Falcons work well in the 30 & the 80, but the 40 seems to really like ftt's.

Rob
    HW40 - isn't that a pistol Rob?

Time to get another MPL entry in

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    HW40 - isn't that a pistol Rob?

Time to get another MPL entry in
    Yep, it is, verdict is out on that at the moment...

Yep, it is, verdict is out on that at the moment...
    How are you getting on with the HW40 Rob?