Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wad cutter pellets

Fellas please excuse my ignorance but what kind of target shooting is this you are talking about?
    I don't shoot targets, I don't know anything about competitive shooting
    But I'm looking for some flat head pellets for a certain kind of close range pest control.
    For my .177 prosport
    You guys are listing pellets I've never heard of.
    I'm guessing the hw30 is the diminutive weihrauch Spring gun, which seems odd for target shooting
    Or is it a different target rifle I'm not aware of?
    Either way any suggestions for pellets for a legal limit .177 please?
    I use FTTs for everything at the moment and want to try a wadcutter
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

The replies to date have been aimed at the target shooter - ie these that shoot paper targets at the international 10 meters distance and/or the national 6 yard distance.

The HW30S mentioned was chosen for use in the MPL postal series that is designed primarily for classic spring powered and SSP air rifles and pistols, but the MPL has also become the home for target shooting with any legal spring powered or SSP airguns at the national 6 yards distance.

As you suggest, the HW30S is a small sized air rifle, but it is proven to be a very popular choice for this discipline due to its size, weight and accuracy at an affordable price.

I am not sure how well a wadcutter pellet would perform at greater distances than these as they were designed to punch clean cut holes in paper targets where the previously mentioned distances are not too far - but I am sure someone here on the BBS will have tested them at longer distances (or for pest control use) and will be able to let you know.
    Last edited by zooma; 24-09-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    The replies to date have been aimed at the target shooter - ie these that shoot paper targets at the international 10 meters distance and/or the national 6 yard distance.

The HW30S mentioned was chosen for use in the MPL postal series that is designed primarily for classic spring powered and SSP air rifles and pistols, but the MPL has also become the home for target shooting with any legal spring powered or SSP airguns at the national 6 yards distance.

As you suggest, the HW30S is a small sized air rifle, but it is proven to be a very popular choice for this discipline due to its size, weight and accuracy at an affordable price.

I am not sure how well a wadcutter pellet would perform at greater distances than these as they were designed to punch clean cut holes in paper targets where the previously mentioned distances are not too far - but I am sure someone here on the BBS will have tested them at longer distances (or for pest control use) and will be able to let you know.
    Thank you for the reply.
    Very informative
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

I had use of a tx200 in the 90's, it was 177, & i found that close up it was just zipping straight through rats on the pig farm we were shooting on. So i got some wadcutter pellets & they worked well, not as good as a 25 though !

Rob