Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nothing smells better

Nothing smells better

Than 3 in 1 oil, I use it as aftershave

Red face

There's an oily smell that's associated with older airguns that I can't get enough of!

I was told the old oil was the same stuff as SAE30 and as luck would have it, One of our maintenance lads had just bought a gallon of the stuff for his 1970's VeeDub Bus, It was the wrong stuff so he gave it to me, I forgot all about it, It's still in the garage somewhere

The smell is sort of like a small machine shop!!

John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 14-09-2018 at 03:40 PM. Reason: cuz eye carnt spel proply!!
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Just as an aside, the Material Safety Data Sheet for Pellgun Oil lists it as "Monolec® GFS Engine Oil 8430".

The generic code for this is SAE 30, or four-stoke lawnmower engine oil.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Aut...ine+Oil/p77571
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

To get the true gun room smell you need Youngs 303 Cleaning Oil.
    For the machine shop smell, cutting oil that looks like milk when mixed with water.

Nothing smells better

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Than 3 in 1 oil, I use it as aftershave
    I prefer the smell of a fresh ferret(but not when they skunk!)You'd be surprised how many ladies love that scent...lol.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    To get the true gun room smell you need Youngs 303 Cleaning Oil.
    For the machine shop smell, cutting oil that looks like milk when mixed with water.
    It was used at a company that I worked at decades ago, it was called Aquicut, I mixed some to use as antifreeze on the wife's Micra, It kept all the waterways very shiny with no oxydisation whatsoever!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    Just as an aside, the Material Safety Data Sheet for Pellgun Oil lists it as "Monolec® GFS Engine Oil 8430".

The generic code for this is SAE 30, or four-stoke lawnmower engine oil.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Aut...ine+Oil/p77571
    Yes ... I read that before somewhere, but does it not need to be a non-detergent type oil?
    I also read that Pellgun oil is automatic transmission fluid?

Cheers, Phil

But to get back on track ... you can't beat the smell of a just fired powder burner.....

One of my favourite shooting related smells is the post firing scent that comes out of my Milbro Diana Model 79. Don't know what it is but it is very nostalgic.

Gun Room Smell

3 in 1 oil squirted into the cylinder of an HR81.Let it's leather-headed piston do the work!. Dry fire a couple of times then inhale the smoke slowly curling from the muzzle. Beats a 'Camel'!

I used to love the smell of brand new Eley Wasps, when Eley made them. As soon as you opened a fresh tin, the smell would hit you and you just knew you were in for a special shooting session.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I used to love the smell of brand new Eley Wasps, when Eley made them. As soon as you opened a fresh tin, the smell would hit you and you just knew you were in for a special shooting session.

John
    And the early Marksman pellets, I have a very early tin of .22 marksman pellets with a push on lid before the screw on lid every time I open the lid that smell takes me back to my first shooting days with my relum telly 200. ps the relum was my Christmas present and cost £10.25 brand new 1972.
    Last edited by jjjjjj; 15-09-2018 at 01:41 AM.

Hmm, prefer smell of a 2stroke motorcycle
    ATB,
    yana

And the smell gets more intoxicated if one rubs a bit of Castrol R on it.......

Castrol-R
    brings back so many pleasant memories , from nearly 40 years ago where did the time go

Croft, Olivers Mount, Carnaby, Elvington, Cadwell, Snetterton, Mallory, Donington, Oulton, Lydden, with the grand finale at Silverstone.

"Proddie" racing with the Auto66 club doing the Marlborough Yamaha clubmans series.

RD400E and F, follwed by RD350LC as soon as it was released. All tuned by Terry Beckett from Nottingham. Added to these was a TZ350, also a great bike in it's time.

Alas, 'twas not me racing, but a very good friend of mine. I was just his chauffeur, spannerman, and general dogsbody....and the mate who picked up his broken bikes and helped him home when he "dropped" it somewhere.

We had many great weekends. i wish i could turn the clocks back.

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    3 in 1 oil squirted into the cylinder of an HR81.Let it's leather-headed piston do the work!. Dry fire a couple of times then inhale the smoke slowly curling from the muzzle. Beats a 'Camel'!

OH YES