Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FT shooting rifle choice, opinions needed.

Dare I ask if there's a dress code ??? Pretty sure our days shooting will consist of banter (taking the pi$$ out of each other) when we miss as that's normaly what we do. No way do I want to end up with all the kit & worry myself stupid about missing, pellet weights etc & desperately needing admiring glances at my over polished rifle (after spending an obscene amount of money) i want to bounce around the course with a wide grin because we're out enjoying the day. A bit like a kid with a first gun even though it's a rusty springer with a bent barrel
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

I imagine Furnace Mill is on your list of local clubs to give it a go. Once on the relatively flat lane of the HFT course the scooter should be able to cope. I'm sure that Ed would assist in getting the scooter up to the plinking range and giving you some support. Nomads, that's a tall order for a scooter but not impossible for at least the first 10 lanes but you will have no trouble getting to the plinking range (drive right up to it). You will be made very welcome at both venues and I'm sure you can get to try various outfits which will help you make a decision on rifle/calibre choice. FM open all week, Nomad's on a Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    Dare I ask if there's a dress code ??? Pretty sure our days shooting will consist of banter (taking the pi$$ out of each other) when we miss as that's normaly what we do. No way do I want to end up with all the kit & worry myself stupid about missing, pellet weights etc & desperately needing admiring glances at my over polished rifle (after spending an obscene amount of money) i want to bounce around the course with a wide grin because we're out enjoying the day. A bit like a kid with a first gun even though it's a rusty springer with a bent barrel
    Sounds like you're in love or something equally silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    Dare I ask if there's a dress code ???
    I'm not sure how you Gimp up a mobility scooter? Search for GimpMyRide.Com

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    How many FT shooters does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Well only one of course ... but it takes them two years and five minutes.

6 months to batch test the light bulbs, because if it's a 60 watt bulb and there are some in the batch that are 60.02 watt or 59.98 watt then that batch won't do.

6 months waiting for Rowan Engineering to manufacturer and supply a mega multi adjustable step ladder, so that you don't ever have to stretch to change that lightbulb, or have to move out of your normal comfort zone.

6 months for the measurement, manufacture and fitting of a multi colour, multi strap, tight fitting leather bulb changer's jacket from 'Whips n Dongs', so they look attractive to other lightbulb changers.

and 6 months to discuss on an internet site, with other lightbulb fitters, just exactly what they can and can't do when kneeling on top of the step ladder.

and 5 minutes ... because when they've changed the lightbulb and flicked the switch and the lightbulb doesn't come on ... they have to get someone to check the lightbulb because it can't possibly be something they've done wrong.

( Coat please ... )

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    How many FT shooters does it take to change a lightbulb?
    If it has to be changed in a kneeling position they will require a 2000 word A4 document with photographs of the approved position to use.

Also the power of the light bulb will have to be checked before use to ensure it complies with regulations.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Only banter Bellycrawler. You'll get loads of that at FT or HFT shoots ... but the people are very welcoming and will do anything for you. You and your friend get along to a club and enjoy.

Try a pole fishing roller and bank stick fixed to the scooter, plumbing pipe clamps would work!!!!

Neil

Neil was talking sense Mate . go to a club . don't e mail . go . half the time the sec does not answer . no rifle , no scope . just you . talk to anyone who will listen , watch , try if poss . inspect the facilities and the course if they have one . they won't care what you shoot . just that you are safe . and most of all no matter what you do ENJOY IT . Luck HOLLY
    " BE YOURSELF , EVERYBODY ELSE IS TAKEN "

Bellycrawler, you are most welcome to come to Kinver-arc.co.uk park up the top, we will be able to get you around at least half of the course. We have a very good plinking area, with stable benches and even an area you can shoot from the scooter, we have some stable tripods that could be used also.
    Do not worry about equipment use anything you have, or we can provide something suitable. The club can help you to what ever level you wish to take your shooting. We have a few club users that have various disabilities and all of them enjoy the friendly safe and relaxed atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    Try a pole fishing roller and bank stick fixed to the scooter, plumbing pipe clamps would work!!!!
    Worth a thought if all goes well,, Thanks.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbhole View Post
    Bellycrawler, you are most welcome to come to Kinver-arc.co.uk park up the top, we will be able to get you around at least half of the course. We have a very good plinking area, with stable benches and even an area you can shoot from the scooter, we have some stable tripods that could be used also.
    Do not worry about equipment use anything you have, or we can provide something suitable. The club can help you to what ever level you wish to take your shooting. We have a few club users that have various disabilities and all of them enjoy the friendly safe and relaxed atmosphere.
    Thanks, is that the one opposite the Cross Guns clay ground
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

You should consider Rough Wedge at Cannock. It's pretty flat and shoots every Sunday.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

You have a potential issue. HFT is where I would start. Kit can be normal to compete to a decent level. However... course setters make course that are designed to test the tall and the short...young and old...left and right etc. Targets are often placed to test the shooter...forcing a low shot..a stretched shot...kneeling crouched...partially obscured in height or left to right.
    With a chair you will probably be more restricted re heigt adjustments so the course setter has to either factor a shooter at one potential height at rope end ....I see that as being a difficult stroke to pull off when they also have to make a course for tall short young old fit knackered .... well younget the idea.
    It may be possible for the setter...course captn and marshalls to allow dispensation to allow for the shooter to shott from a position where they have some sort of line to target but hellish to say the least and not really a level playing field.

Also....A lot of HFT and FT courses can get very very muddy and I think any form of wheeled transport may really struggle unless methods are employed to address this.

There are courses Inhave shot at where you come off looking like a strawberry half dipped in chocolate....
    This is potentially a difficult thing to pull off for all parties.
    Doesnt mean it cant be done but its going to be a shit steep learning curve for sure.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Thankyou for all the comments & advice. A few more w/end m/bike rallies to attend then I'll be checking out the local places we can try & go from there. Updates as & when to follow.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.