If your dipping your toe into HFT/FT the rifle is not your first priority.

The scope is.

If you have a rifle that is comfortable at the moment unsupported or whatever the needs are then that will get you around an HFT or FT course. For FT though... a range reading scope is pretty essential.

Most FT rifles especially if German will usually have adjustment in pretty much every way. But an ordinary scope wont cut it for FT.

2nd hand would be the route to follow AFTER you have been to an FT club and talked about your needs and restrictions and tried kit too.

Side wheel high mag scopes will help but if your going cheaper so your homework as to which make is likely to do what it says on the tin.

I used a clubs S200 with a shxte scope (cheapo Nikko stirling iirc and a gravel trigge and came off with 75 x 80 but i was helped with ranges. It was just for the craic.

As some FT shooter like back up kit for when it goes tits... someone might lend you theres .... just make sure insure it.

I wouldnt just jump in. FT will show you if you have got your kit choices wrong and that assumes you can read the signs which is unlikely.

The best kit in the world wont overcome your errors. Probably make worse TBH