Page 80 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1382

Thread: Halloween Boinger Bash 2018 --- Event and Payment Details

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Seeing as we now have another thread re the forthcoming April Bash, Mick, do you think we should put this one to bed now and carry on with the other one?
    I tried it but I didn't like it, Tone, so I just merged them to keep all the bash talk on bash threads.

I'll be starting a new Bash thread in about three weeks anyway.

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I may do a little demonstration at the next Bash if there's enough interest, Mark.

All the best Mick
    I’d be interested in seeing that Mick
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Not really, Chris, it's just one of those ongoing projects that started with a bare action and a trigger block, and is being built up as and when I get time.

I still have to decide whether to set it up for the bell target or the Quigley bucket :-

Attachment 283663
    Looks beserk with that scope on board Mick perhaps you could leave it on opens for the bucket

I tried it but I didn't like it, Tone, so I just merged them to keep all the bash talk on bash threads.

I'll be starting a new Bash thread in about three weeks anyway.
    Gotcha.

And the sleepometer will be ready. Stripped and cleaned. Just a tad of moly required and reassembly and we'll be off! Three weeks will see us at around the 100 to go, maybe a touch less?

BOING!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Ha ha, I wish mate. Probably punching above my weight on this one
    Never underestimate the power and allure of a Boingerman, Pauly.

You'll be fine when she sees how cuddly and nice you is.

Just don't go mentioning that favourite number of yours on the first date.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Inspired by Mick, I've been trying to rust blue. I have the pieces I made as an engineering apprentice, which I have used as guinea pigs. Then, I've been stripping an hw80 stock, which someone covered in b2 babyshite varnish. Finally got the last of it off last night.
    Excellent. Have fun, Marky.

Not really, Chris, it's just one of those ongoing projects that started with a bare action and a trigger block, and is being built up as and when I get time.

I still have to decide whether to set it up for the bell target or the Quigley bucket :-

Attachment 283663
    About the only wrong thing I've seen from you, Mick.

Take that bloody monstrosity off the top of it.....now!

I may do a little demonstration at the next Bash if there's enough interest, Mark.

All the best Mick
    Yes please, Mick; sign me up, too.

And 2019 has got to see me getting a LJ/BSA of my very own. Love 'em.

I've had the pleasure of trying out a few at The Hollow, and I'll have the book on Christmas Day, next stop has got to be one in the flesh!

But in the meantime I've found out that you have to remove all the variables from the process to get the best results.

I've stopped trying to fume blue in acid fumes as it's a bit hit and miss and I now use an Amonium Chloride/Water solution painted on the metal to rust it.

Once painted with Amonium Chloride I place the piece in my thermostatically controlled damp box which I keep turned on for the duration of the bluing process so that it always remains at a constant temperature.

With this setup I can form rust on a piece in three hours, so I can easily work my day round the rusting and carding.

The only other tip I can give is if you build a boiling tank using a 3KW immersion heater element then a tank capacity of 6-7 Litres of water seems about idea even though it takes 15 minutes to reach boiling point.

All the best Mick

Mick,

I've been following what you're doing and been researching the web. Some interesting stuff came up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmv58Z3RZ9c
    A bit dry, but interesting if you're not doing high tensile stuff

http://www.rustblue.com/msds/

Interesting concept for a steamer rather than a boiling tank

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Ha ha, I wish mate. Probably punching above my weight on this one

Don't put yourself down there little fellow, I'm sure you suave, sophisticated cockney charm will sweep her off her feet.

If not, you never know, she might be as gagging for it as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Mick,

I've been following what you're doing and been researching the web. Some interesting stuff came up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmv58Z3RZ9c
    A bit dry, but interesting if you're not doing high tensile stuff

http://www.rustblue.com/msds/

Interesting concept for a steamer rather than a boiling tank

I think I've watched and read everything I can on the subject as well, Mark, I've even watched a lot of Rat Rod programs on how to rust your car --- most of these lads also use Hydrogen Peroxide mixed with salt to rust their car panels.

I think the trick is to find something simple that works for you and stick with it, right now the Amonium Chloride solution is working well for me along with the damp box and boiling tank.

Yes the steaming setups do look good but I like to boil an action for half an hour to degrease it before painting an oxidiser on it.

One thing I've found out today is DON'T put Danish oil on fresh bluing instead of boiled Linseed oil in an effort to speed the process up, Danish oil strips the bluing off --- bugger.

So everything I'm working on has had to be degreaser again and is now back in the damp box to rust again.

All the best Mick

Well, first attempts haven't come out too bad. The clamp was my first attempt and I prep'd the surfaces. The items just out of the oil bath, I left as they were, with surface rust already developed. However, you can see it in the finished articles.

Finished clamp and one of the original pieces, yet to be blued.

Just out of a 24 hr soak in the oil

Last item awaiting the treatment.

At the moment, I'm governed by size of components and my available kit.

Lovely; keep it going my good fellows.

And when I wasn't bluing...

Paint stripper and a bit of bleach.

I've just got to decide how to finish it now.