Thread: 'My brain hurts'.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

'My brain hurts'.

O.K. so on Tuesday night I was shooting 10m pistol @ Rochdale AGC. I was shot several cards and one was a 43 ( 3 x 10, 1 x 9 plus a FOUR! ) Now I didn't call the 4 and wondered if I had put the pellet in the wrong way round. (Silver coloured pellet into a silver, LP400 action with my bad lamps ). Quite possible.
    Last night, to prove my theory I deliberately loaded a pellet (RWS Basic) into my Walther LP400 the WRONG WAY ROUND expecting to miss the black and scored a 10. This was witnessed. I then let the witness load another pellet the wrong way round and scored another 10. The next shot, pellet reverse loaded scored an 8 the next another 8 and the last a 7.

Why do I bother sizing my pellets when it doesn't matter which way round I shoot them?

Try it. You may be amazed.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Maybe try them sideways
    Or roll them cylindrical first

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    Maybe try them sideways
    Or roll them cylindrical first
    Mock yeah may!

Now, do these reverse pellets in the breech do a 180 degrees before hitting the target or do the do the whole 10m in reverse?

I was at a coaching session more than 20 years ago, a discussion started about carefully selecting pellets for your pistol and was it worth paying for premium pellets to practice. Some international pistol shooting chap was there and he said it's the practice that counts, not the pellet. He demonstrated this by selecting one of each of the seven types of pellets available and three random ones he loaded backwards and shot about a 95. In a pistol I've used hobby pellets ever since.

Ok - Just done a little experiment. I can confirm that the pellets are still in reverse at 10m. Accuracy looks to be little effected. There is slight elongation of the holes as if the pellet is yawing, my guess is that it would turn round in another few metres.

This was offhand with my Walther CP2 with hobby pellets, six all touching within the 9 ring, five spread about out to the 6 ring which was me.

Certainly make me less worried about putting one in the wrong way round.

I rest my case.