Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JSB Lead Free Pelllets

JSB Lead Free Pelllets

It looks like JSB are preparing for the lead ban by introducing a full range of lead free pellets:

http://www.schulzdiabolo.cz/en/pellets/LEAD-FREE/

Has anyone tried them?

I might have to stock up on the traditional lead ones, you never know when these will be banned...

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Small tins no doubt full price!!
    Master Debater

The weight of the .25 cal pellets at just under 17 gn look interesting for sub 12fp.
    More than likely expensive though.
    Les..

...agreed Les. Also the .22 under 12 grains could be pretty flat too. Look forward to hearing about serious road tests on these
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    ...agreed Les. Also the .22 under 12 grains could be pretty flat too. Look forward to hearing about serious road tests on these
    I can't seem to find a price or stockist ??.
    I have some Pax Dynamic lead free pellets,they are similar to the Exterminator pellet at 9.5 gr but are longer and the material they are made from is a lot harder then lead,they don't distort much on impact even on a metal plate target.
    I will get some and report back, provided they are not to steep in price.
    Les..

Maybe I'm a luddite, maybe I'm just plain old boring, sceptical and cynical, but these lighter lead free pellets I fear will exhibit inferior BCs to our trusted, well-developed lead pellets, and those higher muzzle velocities won't be replicated downrange.

Coupled to the high cost and my (maybe unfounded?) fear of potential damage to our delicate bores, this translates to me never feeling the need to try them out.

If certain types were found to be superior to good, old fashioned lead at some point in the future, and the bore damage fears allayed, I might at that point be prepared to give them a go, but then there would always be the cost issue to consider, especially as I only shoot for pleasure.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Maybe I'm a luddite, maybe I'm just plain old boring, sceptical and cynical, but these lighter lead free pellets I fear will exhibit inferior BCs to our trusted, well-developed lead pellets, and those higher muzzle velocities won't be replicated downrange.

Coupled to the high cost and my (maybe unfounded?) fear of potential damage to our delicate bores, this translates to me never feeling the need to try them out.

If certain types were found to be superior to good, old fashioned lead at some point in the future, and the bore damage fears allayed, I might at that point be prepared to give them a go, but then there would always be the cost issue to consider, especially as I only shoot for pleasure.
    Not much worried about bore damage, but I share all the other concerns. Shooters have been using lead for centuries for a reason - because it works, and is much cheaper than gold or similarly dense metals.

If non-lead projectiles are to become a success, they will need to be designed differently from lead pellets. Pellets that copy lead Diablo designs in tin, zinc, whatever, are unlikely to succeed. They may do well at 10 or even 25 metres, but not usually beyond.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

I do agree with Tony and your self regarding the lead free pellets ,but a fellow club member tried the Dynamic pellets in his Hw77 and the gun was very accurate with them out to 55 yards.They didn't suit any of my guns at all. I am interested in the light weight .25 at 16.5gr for up to 25 yards pest control and beyond for fun target shooting.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    If non-lead projectiles are to become a success, they will need to be designed differently from lead pellets. Pellets that copy lead Diablo designs in tin, zinc, whatever, are unlikely to succeed. They may do well at 10 or even 25 metres, but not usually beyond.
    As above. It never ceases to amaze me that some manufacturers apparently think changing the material but keeping the same shape as one of their lead pellets will give similar or acceptable properties. Changing any single parameter can have a dramatic effect on the overall performance of a pellet or any other projectile for that matter. It is all about getting the right balance between mechanics and aerodynamics.

When is the lead pellet ban coming into force?

ATB Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Luciano View Post
    When is the lead pellet ban coming into force?

ATB Luciano
    So far it's not but who knows what's beyond the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I think that works out to nearly £38 for a tin of 500?

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    I think that works out to nearly £38 for a tin of 500?
    Those are tester tins. They are about twice the price of tester tins of quality lead pellets. So that would suggest 500 would cost something like £20-25.

Can you imagine the sales on lead pellets when/if the ban is brought in.