Thread: Steyr Hunting 5 pellet test

Steyr Hunting 5 pellet test

I've been meaning to post this for some time.
    Test results from my Steyr H5 .177

Shot on a windless day at 20 meters from a full bench rest (Deben type with front and back hold) These are all show with a moderator fitted with the exception of a second set of JSB 4.52 (as stated)

A number of the targets show tearing damage, this was due to the target holder failing and the pellets 'spraying' back into the card.
    The targets are in no real order, Webley Accupel came out far ahead. Interesting the Defiant M put performed the H&N Sniper as they're supposedly the same pellet though a visual inspection shows the new H&N ones are a notably lower quality.

Best for plinking so far are Eley Wasp as they're the cheapest on the list at just £2.79 for 500 and have spectacular performance for the price.
    I've been searching for a good lead free pellet and so far none come close to the lead ones.

1. JSB Exact 4.53 | RWS Geko | SMK BS45 Black Dome

2. AGS Elite PPA Domed | RWS Super H Point | BSA Elite

3. Webley Mosquito Express | H&N Sniper Light | RWS Hyperdome

4. RWS Hobby | JSB Exact 4.52 (Silencer) | JSB Exact 4.52 (No Silencer)

5. Defiant M| H&N FTT Green| H&N Exite Dynamic

6. Eley Wasp(new)| Bisley Magnum | H&N FTT

7. H&N Barracuda Match Extra Heavy | Daystate Select | RWS Superdome(hole in 3 ring is an exit not a hit)

8. RWS Superfield | Air Arms Diablo Field | HW F&T Special

9. Old Crossman Accupel | Daystate Kaiser | Webley Accupel

Skenco Blue Arrow This is just for the laughs, It's by far the worst pellet I've ever purchased, including some dubious copper washed ones that came in a loose bag for £2

Edit: Proton Zinc are now the worst pellet, they leave plastic fibres in the barrel which require a wire brush and solvents to remove. Not used them on my H5 after the time it took to clean my Mk4 from the first test.
    Last edited by Solvo; 19-10-2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Fixed image links

Looks like your Steyr isn't too fussy and shoots most pellets quite well. Interesting results. Thanks for posting. Best wishes,Mark

I do like a bit of pellet testing.

Yours really seems to like them Accupells

All of the above.

This was mine, ten shots with JSB Exact Jumbo 5.51.

https://i.imgur.com/d5TsdUb.jpg

20 yards, standing, indoors.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    This was mine, ten shots with JSB Exact Jumbo 5.51.

https://i.imgur.com/d5TsdUb.jpg

20 yards, standing, indoors.
    great that one flyer to spoil it

Hello,

is it possible to reupload the pictures ?

would me make really happe

I should have gone to Specsavers, can't see a thing.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

There you go, works for now.

I might have broken that website a few months ago while fiddling, forgot I used it for BBS images

Supprised the ol wasps did well .

As was I, they're one of the lowest quality pellets on the test.
    Weights are all over the place, as are sizes.

Cant argue with the results though. Since then I've run about 3500 though in plinking sessions.
    Can't beat shredding tins & bottles with rapid fire then settling in for a few more 'serious' shots with a better pellet.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    did you allow the pellets to bed in with a few (how many) test shots when changing ? Or clean barrel between pellets ?

I found many guns (well, my springers) need at least a dozen or so shots to settle when changing pellets...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I think it was a single pull though with a couple of Napier patches and a spot of vp90? between each mag.
    I don't recall there being much to clean so they should all have a pretty equal footing.

Agreed some will likely bed in happily, but I was seeking a generally good pellet. I'm no FT expert, I shoot purely non-competitively for my own pleasure. This mainly serves as a good starting point and also a solid comparison to throw out those pellets which are hopeless in this rifle.

Given time and inclination I'm sure i could take the top 5 contenders and run 50 rounds of each with a fresh charge between to see how they do. This will at least give an idea of a shortlist to work with.

For me i got my preferred every day pellet (AccuPel) and my plinking session round (wasps), and the knowledge that lead free is a spectacular waste of money.