Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
I was reading Tom Gaylord's article about refurbing the Diana 6 pistol... in it, he says he has instructions for setting up the timing on a 75. Apparently, we need .3mm of load on the rear piston in order to get the racks and idler gear to line up...
I'll need to get a copy of these instructions somewhere.
Actually the 0.3mm load is to ensure that the two pistons come to a dead stop exactly at the same time cancelling each other's movement out. This is achieved by having no load whatsoever on the racks and pinions when the front piston reaches the bottom of the cylinder. The reason why the marked distance washers come in various dimensions is to make up for tiny dimensional variations during production of various parts including the rear piston's plastic buffer. Try and keep the cog wheels and retaining caps paired together as you found them so that any previous wear is evenly matched to its partner.
Its a good sign that the gun cocks and fires, you know its all there now all you have to do is strip, service and enjoy.
I have the manuals in electronic format somewhere, but I am sure that they are available on the excellent VAG (Danny's) site in the Diana resources section.
Send me an email if you run into problems and I'll try to help as best I can.