Thread: Long soft spring for hw97 .177

Long soft spring for hw97 .177

Has anyone tried a tx/prosport mk3 spring in their 97. They appear quite weak but shoot lovely in my prosport v the mk2 spring. What is the softest spring available for the 97? I only shoot at 10 - 10.5 ftIbs

Cheers

Roger

I haven't tried this, but at an outside guess with the piston weights being similar and stroke lengths not being a million miles apart, I would reckon it will be well worth a play.

I don't know if Jim has had a play along these lines and may be able to chip in with a more useful and scientific analysis taking into account spring rate and spring force at the piston cocked and bounce positions?

Could be very, very nice, though.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Not tried it myself, but my gut feeling is that the stroke is a bit too short for the spring.

If you could get 35mm preload, it should get you to around 10 ft. lb., and 40mm 11 ft. lb.

The spring is 223mm, so I'd first measure and see how much preload it will give, and how much you could add.

I've not measured the TX and 97 internals, but if you put a Walther LGV piston in them you get this :-

97 fitted with a Walther LGV piston gives a 75.5mm stroke.

TX fitted with a Walther LGV piston gives a 76.5mm stroke

So the measurement from the internal front face of the cylinder to sear hook on the TX is 1mm longer than the 97.

I'm running my .22" TX with an LGV piston at the above 76.5mm stroke using a TX MK2 Spring and easily getting 12ftlbs so it would be interesting to see how the same Spring works in a 97.

All the best Mick

Tks guys, looks like it's play time 😊