Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
Clacity clack, just so noisy, especially the Sussex Armoury ones. AA got the quality control better and took the design further. The base design always had a pretty poor or "average" for its day trigger, but then everything did in those days unless German. The rest is history.

High Power looks best with a 4x40 scope. AR7 with Singlepoint.
These rifles were for plinking and hunting around the farmyard. Best in .22 for the whollop. What a lot of fun. They were never meant to be 35m tack drivers, and to be honest can't do it just as a factory Airsporter or Webley Vulcan can't even if many tried. The HW77 could in .177.

The High Power with scope so it looked like a R1 Fal. The AR7 because it could look like a Blake Seven AR16.

I missed an AR7 a few years back; its the one I'd have for the fun of it. Those High Powers I've saved from the skip I've always passed on.
I have an old Jackal Parabellum. Basically agree with you, but prefer it with the iron sights. It’s a big enough beast without adding a scope. It shoots OK. I think it probably shoots a bit better than a Webley Viscount/Tracker, because the action is slightly more efficient and the Hammerli barrel is good. The same basic action, improved under AA, did well for years.

My preferred choice would indeed be an AR7 (I recall seeing one in my local shop when I was 12 and really wanting it) and/or a Firepower with the 30 round tube. But these days they are very pricey for a “fun” gun. And I am quite happy just owning the original.