Thread: Bsa Superstar or Weihrauch HW77

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If I had to have one of them I'd take the Superstar. I think they're lovely rifles. The HW77 is arguably a better engineered gun but I'd get more enjoyment from owning a Superstar. I've got a .177 with no accuracy issues whatsoever, I'd put it up against any HW springer.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    If I had to have one of them I'd take the Superstar. I think they're lovely rifles. The HW77 is arguably a better engineered gun but I'd get more enjoyment from owning a Superstar. I've got a .177 with no accuracy issues whatsoever, I'd put it up against any HW springer.

Cheers
    Greg
    That's pretty encouraging news about the .177 being an accurate rifle. If I see one in the right condition & at the right sort of price I could be tempted.

Nice post this. I've had both, the hw77 was tje better engineered rifle and very accurate with superdomes, however.....there was something about my mk1 .22 superstar, lovely looking, it was superbly accurate with domes again, nice safe breach, resettable safety, trigger was a good one, lighter and had character but the maxi grip scope rail was it's downfall, a ridiculous abomination of a feature, being 14mm wide and hard as nails to remove, mounts were a pain even the special BKL wide ones, made replacing the innards a real pain. Do regret selling it last year though. Now have a .177 lgv comp ultra which sadly shoots the pants off the bsa (and standard Hw97k too!)

PS saying that, if I see a mint .22 superstar mk2 carbine I'd probably have it. Saw one at a fair and it had gone within the hour.

The Superstar certainly seems to have a strong following with even some of those who have sold theirs still having an inclination to getting one again. Still waiting to hear if anyone has a good word to say about the Maxigrip rail that BSA fitted. (might be a long weight).I assume it was meant to provide an especially stable base for a telescopic sight, but I wonder if the solution they offered was the best option. Do you think the Superstars recoil characteristics were that different to need a special type of rail? Generally I think the Superstar is pretty well made, the stock size & shape is very comfortable for me. A .20 version would have been interesting but although I'd be interested in a .177 I don't think I'd ever have much interest in a .25. Thinking about it I wonder if a .20 would have out sold a.25. As an aside does anyone know the production numbers for the three calibres?

Hi trajectory...
    Once the Maxi-grip is removed - after some years attached this can be a pain to do, but, with applying WD40 around the sides and into the tang area (obviously the spring is out as the gun is being stripped) and letting it soak in, with a little initial clamp pressure, careful persuasion with a hardwood drift, it will start to move sufficiently to remove the clamp and continue to move back sufficient to clear the slots and lift away. Once out, clean off all the old "cushions" and with needle file clean up the tangs where burred - I also trim the leading edges of the tangs so that they lead into the slots or keys in the cylinder easily. The replacement "cushions" are expensive for what they are, get 1.5mm black rubber sticky back sheet from the dock of the bay so to speak. It will cost pence for a sheet that many can be made! Once strips cut to size, remove the backing on the sticky side and apply to a clean underside of the rail. Grease top of cylinder and inside of Maxi rail and it takes hardly any effort to replace - just a bit if pressure by hand is sufficient, and once started can be repositioned with just light taps with a soft faced mallet or piece of wood. Removing in future for maintenance later is easy.....

Hello SRV1,
    That sounds like useful advice for when the time comes to strip it down for an overhaul, many thanks.

My BSA Mercury is lovely for standing shots.

My HW 77 is lovely but bloody heavy for standing shots.