Thread: Bsa Superstar or Weihrauch HW77

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bsa Superstar or Weihrauch HW77

As in the title really. With the benefit of experience & hindsight which do you think was the better of the two in carbine or full length barrel? I'd like to keep the HW97 out of the equation but if anyone wants to refer to it in comparisson with either the HW77 or Superstar i'd be happy to hear what they say. I know the Rekord trigger was a bit of a gem but the Superstar trigger was pretty good too, the Superstar has a bit of an awkward sight rail to remove for servicing but its not as if it has to be taken off that often. The rotary breach in the Superstar is a bit of a winner for me though, but in the end does it all just come down to personal choice. Is the clincher the simple fact that Superstar production ended & HW carried on & developed the '97 making a Weihrauch the winner, if the Superstar came out earlier do you think it would it have had better sales? If I had to choose between them I would find it quite tricky, but I think I might go for the BSA. Close thing though.

I would say 80+ percent would go with the 77, I am a big fan of the Superstar and my one keeps up with my Hw97 and Tx200 in the accuracy department.The 77 didn't win all those Ft comp's back in the day for being just average.
    Les..

Pellets

I have both of these and while I know it can be different from gun to gun I would be interested to know what pellets you have found they prefer. Thanks
    HW30STL .177, HW45 Blackstar .177, HW77 .177, LGV Challenger .177, BSA Airsporter S Mk1 .22. Original 65 .177, BSA Lightning GRT .177, HW99 .177.

Have had 3 77s and one Mk1 Superstar rifle. I do like the rotary breech (though the6 could have executed it better), but I much prefer the 77s overall.

The 77 - K for me, you can't really say a Superstar is better - the BSA has a breach that wears out( though replaceable) poorer trigger, barrels not too hot in 177 .

I like the Superstar though, kinda regret selling mine now - much lighter, nice safe rotary breach design - in 22 try Superfields, Superdome, FTT in 5.53 or 5.54
    A mate has my old one as his rat gun or 'garden pigeon' gun (big garden)

Mind you I sold my first 77k, and did buy another, it's the only time I've replaced a 'sold rifle' , oh maybe HW80 as well

I think at the time I was getting rid of 'big heavy' rifles, but now appreciate them more for their robustness, and lots of new really good lightweight scopes like Nikon 2-7x32 make them more appealing too
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

As was said earlier, the 77 is an excellent gun all round , but, the Superstar is very good too.
    There's a few different opinions about the long transfer port through the rotary breech and some don't like the trigger but once again it'll be down to personal taste. I've shot a lot of guns with Rekord triggers that are badly set up but the owners didn't complain.
    There's talk of the break barrel BSA guns having 'issues' with the bore where they were brazed to the breech block but the Superstar and Goldstar won't suffer with this (that's if there is a problem in the first place)
    I'd guess that if both guns were put head to head, the 77 would come out on top but the Superstar is lighter, the finish was very good and if it went horribly wrong, you can't chop the end of your fingers off in the breech
    I like to buy Blitish and have a soft spot for Brummie guns so I'm slightly biased
    With new breech O ring, a new piston seal, ( I've found the black BSA seals can sometimes look like new but still be worn, so tend to replace them in a new to me gun ) and a good cylinder polish and lube can make for a nice smooth shooter. I made a steel top hat weight, used a bit less spring and a Webley 'clothes peg' spring guide in my last one and it was sweet as a nut. Superdomes were the pellet of choice in that one (.22) but I think FTT were good too.
    The 77 may be a bit more pleasing to the eye and is deadly accurate when sorted so if in doubt there's always the option of buying one of each, just in case
    Rust never sleeps !

Never tried a 177 Superstar or heard that the 177 barrel could be an issue, is it just the Superstar 177 or was it all of the BSA types of that generation it effects? Was it general varriabillity or just that they were not as inherrently accurate as the HW barrels?
    Accupells & Superdomes seem to perform well. Im not sure about the mechanical design aspect of the two trigger mechanisms when you compare them to one another but the BSA's I have tried seem pretty good to me. Once set they seem to hold their adjustment & be very useable. The Rekord units always get the enthusiastic comments but from a user's point of view are they really that better?