Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are BSA worth a look?

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    Which is like saying when you drive a Ford V6, it's so easy to go over 70mph
    I won't pretend to understand the comparison,but suffice to say that unlike an air pellet, a car's velocity is governed by the user.

You did remind me,an ex Merseyside police 3.1RS Granada was good fun

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    ...You did remind me,an ex Merseyside police 3.1RS Granada was good fun
    Fun ? Being in the airfreight game, I drove an imported Renault 5 Gordini once, down the industrial estate. That was fun !

A lot of BSA's have been sold over the years, with many happy customers.
    Air Rifles arte made for the target market at the right price for that market. Not everyone can afford a HW Venom or a AA, or Daystate. During their history they brought out some gems, Mecury S, Airsporters, Silverstar??, Goldstar. Plenty of very useful rifles.

For what market they were targeted at they delivered. The old springers were plinking good fun and adiquate around the farmyard; what more do you want?
    But we did want more.

BSA still make very great rifles. Exactly how they fit into todays market is beyond my scope of knowedge. I think the R10's have a real following for very good reason; they are good rifles. There are others that fit the bill.
    The whole air rifle market has moved along a pace and BSA is still in there finding market place. With the amount of competition they must be doing something right. I don't own a PCP but if I had a few one might well be a BSA.

One thing that stood out using BSA customer service. They knew where their bread buttered. The customer was always put first.

BSA PCP's have a massive following, they are very robust and as accurate as anything

In general no more issues than any other other brand ...

JB Blueprints are SUPERB -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

BSA springers look and handle well but fall short when compared with HW and AA springers.

BSA PCP's are very good.
    The Ultra is a corker of a rifle. Basic, robust , dependable and accurate. I have 2, the oldest I've owned from new and bought about 4 years ago. I bought another about a year ago that I fitted a huma reg to which is also faultless.
    For the money (particularly the single shot version) I don't think there's anything that can touch the Ultra at that price point. For me, the ultra is the perfect hunting rifle. I'll never sell the 2 Ultras.

The scorpion, R10 and Goldstar are built around the same action.

I know of one chap who had to return a R10 down to a bad barrel a few years ago (they had problems with a batch of barrels), but also know folk including a good friend who can't speak highly enough of the R10.

The scorpion is basically an ultra with longer barrel and cylinder and higher shot count. The forend of the scorpion stock is longer than the ultra.

The Goldstar is a regged version of the scorpion with an FT stock.

The R10 is a "rapid a like" with a buddy bottle.

In essence, I'd say the BSA range of PCP's are very much worth a look.
    B.A.S.C. member

Ultra's are bloody excellent hunting guns
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

I think the PCPs are OK but since Gamo have been making the spring models there very bad.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Out of the Bsa springers the superstar was a great airgun it handled well looked good and was very accurate and consistent the mercury s are ok and the challenger was a nice gun but the modern springers are pritty mundane and rather poor.

Dave.

I’ve been dammed lucky with my R10 MK2 worked well out of the box the only thing I’ve done to it is clean it. Amazingly accurate year after year. I have had to stick new stock on it as the original was stolen out of my shed along with three other stocks that were drying after an oiling.

It even knocked the spots of my Rapid so out the door went the Rapid.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Another vote for the Superstar here. Love shooting mine, as accurate as any other out of the box springer
    Pete

Echo the above remarks re: BSA Superstar.

The praise of Superstars, a most sought after quality BSA rifle, brought tears of joy to my eyes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    This sounds a very odd question, but it comes from the fact that I hear almost nothing about BSA at any club I go to. I know we've all had BSA's as kids, but that was a lifetime away and now we are all on other stuff. Is it because the R10 has had a difficult birth, or do BSA simply focus on lesser performing air rifles and leave the higher end to others? Is there a BSA as good as the TX200 or HW97?

BSA is just a brand that never comes up in conversation, why?
    Nowadays they're all sh1te. I've tried, i persevered, i've had many warranty returns (none of them resolved) and at the end of the day lost a load of money and got rid of them. I will never buy another.

I'm told the older ones are generally good, though i'm not going to gamble on them either. It is a great shame as i wanted to like them; the ultra is a unique concept, the scorpion stock is superb - but practically they're less than poor.

Weihrauch for springers, or AA for PCP or springer - that's pretty much where i am now.

I love BSA's.
    Over the years I've had several other brands, but BSA suits me best.
    My collection consists of (yes I think I am a bit of a show off haha ):
    Superten .22 JB tuned
    Ultra's: .22 ms JB tuned, .177 ms JB tuned, .22/.25 ss
    Spitfire SF .177/.22/.25
    Firebird SF .20/.22/.25
    Techstar .22
    Meteor Mk1 .22
    Cadet Major .177
    Improved Model D Light Model from 1926 .177
    Standard no. 2 from 1924

My favourite is the Ultra. I can change calibers, barrel lengths, cylinder lengths, stocks and power settings (I have fac) within minutes. It is not only versatile, but also bomb proof and the mmc system works for me.
    I don't have any post John Bowkett BSA's so I cannot comment on the current models.