Thread: 1958 Airsporter

1958 Airsporter

It's not for sale - I'm just curious.
    What's a Mk1 Airsporter worth, in near perfect condition, apart from the fact that someone drilled and tapped 4 small holes on top of the cylinder to hold a scope ramp?

1958 Airsporter

Quote Originally Posted by Dijon View Post
    It's not for sale - I'm just curious.
    What's a Mk1 Airsporter worth, in near perfect condition, apart from the fact that someone drilled and tapped 4 small holes on top of the cylinder to hold a scope ramp?
    less than one without the holes drilled in!

I bought one for £37.50 at a farm sale in 1985, and I still have it.

Hope this helps

All the best Mick

Very hard to call.

Without the holes, anywhere from £250-400 or whatever depending on the definition of perfect.

With the holes, it all depends how bad the damage is. Maybe £100? Maybe £150. But not more, I think. Collectors absolutely hate guns that are not original.

My “shooter” Mk1 has a very well, invisibly, multiply repaired, and well refinished stock, and really well refinished metal. It looks nice (minus etchings), handles well, shoots well. I think I paid £100 for it three years ago. It has no collector value. Someone spent a lot more man-hours than it was financially worth turning it from a collection of broken and rusted bits into a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I bought one for £37.50 at a farm sale in 1985, and I still have it.

Hope this helps

All the best Mick
    Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefan View Post
    Ha
    If you think about it Gav, the joke's on me, paying £37.50 thirty three years ago for a gun that's only worth £100 --- £150 today was hardly the best investment in the world.

Have you got the scope ramp ?

A Burris compact would look nice !

Thanks for the thoughts folks. I've not owned an Airsporter since the 70s, so I'm just reacquainting myself with a really nice example

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    If you think about it Gav, the joke's on me, paying £37.50 thirty three years ago for a gun that's only worth £100 --- £150 today was hardly the best investment in the world.
    I guess it all depends on what value you put on pride of ownership, and three years of presumably good shooting with the old girl...... I would say a good investment that doesn't owe you any money in real terms.

Lakey

Smile

I have a mk1 in ,177" that was drilled and tapped to take a scope ramp, There's actually two scope ramps as his first was too thin and lifted so he made a more substantial one!

I never got around to buying the screws to attach it, He removed the rail/screws but lost the screws!!

Pretty sure I paid too much at £125 but 'Needed' a .177 early 'Sporter in my collection!!

By the way, It's the same length as my .22cal mk1 Airsporters so I reckon it is a .177 mk1 Airsporter rather than the Club version (Heard that was 3/3" shorter overall!)

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

By the way, It's the same length as my .22cal mk1 Airsporters so I reckon it is a .177 mk1 Airsporter rather than the Club version
    (Heard that was 3/3" shorter overall!)

John
    5/8".

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    5/8".
    Ooops!!

typo, I was trying to type 3/4" but it seems I would still have been wrong by an eighth!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Lovely rifle, if bluing on the alu backblock & action would still be great and some etching is left, fit some nice screws and you are in the money (125+). If not (and It seems the bluing is fading already, backblock is probably painted) might as well weld and reblue. The value would be sign lower in that case i'm afraid (more than 37,50 hhh).