Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used an SMK CP1 Co2 pistol?

Has anyone used an SMK CP1 Co2 pistol?

Afternoon!

Have thrown my lad in at the deep end, 10m pistol and rifle.. the club we've started going to has some S200's and he is settling into those nicely, a bit of coaching for positioning, routine and breathing and he is achieving reasonable results

The club has some older FWB 65 pistols which are a bit heavy for him, even two handed, and even my Gamo Compact is a bit weighty (and he can't load it safely)

I'd rather he stuck with rifle as it is an easier discipline to start, and improving results will keep him interested, but he does enjoy pistol - I can't afford the step up to PCP at the moment, and when I can it will (quite selfishly) be for my use, but it would reduce the weight element and improve loading safety for him

Couple of options.. one is the Artemis PP700, but have heard some terrible press about the trigger and shot consistency, it is also quite weighty, and the only other pistol I can find that may be suitable is the SMK CP1 Co2 pistol

https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/ai...r-pistol/12625

Sight line looks a little high, no idea how consistent it will be, numerous youtube howto's on fettling trigger, weight/how it sits in hand is a mystery, but it does have adjustable rear sight (something else the PP700 lacks)

Anyone used one? Got one? Got a brother who's uncles cousins friend once had one? If there is anyone in the Hants/Wilts area that has one I could take for a spin would be really interested in hearing from you

Yes, I've got one of each, .22 and .177. (CP 1's)I bought them cheap straight from Europe, Poland maybe, with just the same sort of thing you are looking for in mind. I was quite prepared to do some work, thinking they could be the basis of a cheap target pistol for my grandson, however I never really progressed the project.

They make a great garden tin can shooter, quite powerful, accurate enough, adjustable sights, easy to load, recoilless etc. However, as a starter for 10m pistol I think you would be disappointed (I would be good if there was a competition with everyone shooting them. Formula CP1 ).

Out of the box, the trigger is poor, heavy and creepy - but can be greatly improved with a little tinkering.

It's too powerful but is easily tamed a little by a lighter hammer spring.

It has a very high sight line coupled with a low trigger that it would be difficult to do much about.

The grips are ambidextrous but could be sorted with a little padding and chopping.

The killer for me was it's just not accurate enough - with the pistol clamped in position, with half a dozen different pellets, I couldn't get it group any better than about an inch at 10m. Very demoralising if you think you have shot the perfect shot and find it's an eight. I tried re-crowning and lapping the barrel but not much improvement.
    If it was inherently accurate I would have been prepared to spend the time trying to sort the rest out, completely re-engineer the trigger mechanism to bring half an inch higher, new designed rear sight to bring it down half an inch, new target type grips, light weight hammer, move the cocking bolt to the left side etc.

So - fun to shoot but wouldn't be competitive at 10m pistol at even the most basic club level.

Many years ago I did something similar with some Baikal break barrel air rifles for a scout troop - these were cheap as chips but really very accurate. I re-worked the triggers, fitted front and rear aperture sights and an adjustable butt plate, they shot a treat and put up with a lot of abuse for years.

Thanks 1066

Back to google for more alternatives.. or maybe sell some of my organs and go PCP

Quote Originally Posted by AaronR View Post
    Thanks 1066

Back to google for more alternatives.. or maybe sell some of my organs and go PCP
    Moog, Hammond or church?
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

How about a LOV 21 target pistol?

£90 new, weighs only 725g. Not used one personally but reviews seem good.

http://sureshot-airguns.co.uk/lov-21/

I have had a Lov 21 for a few years now and remember it needing "a bit of work" but after that it shot ( and still does) quite well.

The first one I bought had to go back to the dealer as it had a bent barrel! It may have only been the plastic moulding that was bent, but when looking over the sights it was like shooting a banana !

The only problem I have had (and still get now and again) is that when fitting a new capsule it can get stuck on the puncture pin in the screw-in cap, but does not let the gas flow.

Removing the full capsule from the pin can be a bit nerve racking
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

That's a new one for me - Looks a lot more promising as a basis for an entry level pistol. Shades of the old Hammerli single CO2 pistol.

Agree with 1066's take on the CP1 - great potential for a project but not a 10m contender.

I was looking for a co2 pistol with a bit more poke and range than a BB plinker and narrowed the choice down to the CP1 and Crosman 2240. What swung things in the CP1's favour was the wood grip and sight dovetails as standard - fitting grips and a steel breech to a 2240 would add another £80 or so.

My CP1-M (.177) arrived in a fairly circuitous route via a friend from a well known gun shop oop north and had a broken rear sight and no single shot tray. The magazines are known to be fiddly and unreliable and was only used once after things jammed up big time on the first outing. I'd recommend the single shot variant or using the shot tray all the time.

A lot of people report that they can't get on with the grip, saying that it forces their wrist into an awkward angle. For me, at least, it does seem more suited to a one handed 10m style hold/stance with the palm shelf making a two handed grip awkward. I can live with that but I did get a great benefit from one of Stuart Waudby's match style trigger guards which open up more room for my large hands.

https://smwengineering.co.uk/collect...1-and-variants

After a little bit of trigger tweaking and with a red dot fitted, I can easily ring three inch steel plates at 25m from standing and I'm happy with that. Chrono'ing gave me 5fpe or so and a useable shot count of between 30-40. Over the winter, I intend to reshape and stipple the grip, polish the internals and index the loading probe to stay open without sliding forward while loading.

If you've read reviews and are sitting on the fence about getting a CP1, I'd say take the plunge. They're cheap, pretty reliable, amenable to tuning with custom parts becoming available and the trigger (after some basic polishing and adjustment) isn't as bad as some people would have you believe.

Another vote for the Lov 21 here. Very capable and easy to load and cock for a youngster.
    Not a low sight radius but better lower than CP1, HW75 etc.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

And another for the Lov21,

Pro's - Very light, accurate, decent enough trigger and a great low cost entry into 10mtr,

Cons- Made using a lot of plastic, Sights could be better but a small modification sorts this,

Only mention the cons because they're there but don't really deter from a pistol that at less than £100 really is a very capable bargain for 10mtr entry.

Nige
    Last edited by nige346; 16-09-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Thanks all!

The LOV looks good, and found this variant of the CO which may just get my vote if only for its cost and the fact that the wooden grip can be worked more easily than plastic

https://m.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-...r-pistol/19764

Quote Originally Posted by AaronR View Post
    Thanks all!

The LOV looks good, and found this variant of the CO which may just get my vote if only for its cost and the fact that the wooden grip can be worked more easily than plastic
    I have a couple of CP1s and think they are great value for money, but I only use them for HFT.
    If you are going to modify the grip, another BBS member suggested Milliput which is a two-part epoxy "clay". I've used it on mine and would recommend highly.
    TTFN
    N.
    "The only difference between Men and Boys is the price they pay for their Toys."

Thumbs up

I also used the Lov21 Pistol, very consistent, but a bit muzzle light so i added some stick on wheel balance weights which made it easier to hold on target, trigger weight was not to heavy, so a good starter pistol. ...mike...

Ok - so after reading all the positive things about the Lov 21 I decided to go ahead and buy one, just to see if I could use it a base to make 10m starter pistol. Unfortunately Sureshot have sold out and not sure if they will get any more in (saying they need to order 100)

I then tried AFG, Czech Republic, listed at EU88 but won't send to uk.

So, any suggestions where these might be available?

Try City Air Weapons...

http://www..com/air-guns-lovena-lov-21-177-air-pistols

Whether they have any in stock is another matter!
    Last edited by Modski66; 21-09-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?