Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas for a compact rat/squirrel gun

Personally, I’d reach for something like a carbine Webley Xocet.

But you want something more like a Pro-Sport. So consider a TX HC or the 77K in the new, better, stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Personally, I’d reach for something like a carbine Webley Xocet.

But you want something more like a Pro-Sport. So consider a TX HC or the 77K in the new, better, stock.
    Why an xocet ?
    A brummie Longbow us a gun I've never had and they always appear to have a nicer finish than the xocet or stingray
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

paul4be is offline Everything has an end, only the sausage has two
    I have a TX HC that has been further shortened. The outer "shroud" has been cut back and re-threaded just in front of the barrel itself, along with the cocking lever shortened to match. No effect on accuracy as the barrel itself is untouched. Obviously a bit stiffer to cock with the shorter lever.
    Good deals with: ali d (twice), mattinlondon, mikemorton, jonboy, the wizard, Moza, markH, fok, gunslinger, Fisherman1, bigwull, mikewareing, TwoTitans,hairydog, airguns, dcl dave, Stuart B, mattie, Locksley, MARK, albrown, kjud, spud, gedfinn2, wasteoid, bullcelt, bunnysniper, wasteoid, pokeandhope, honda+more

Quote Originally Posted by Daveo View Post
    Why an xocet ?
    A brummie Longbow us a gun I've never had and they always appear to have a nicer finish than the xocet or stingray
    I have one of those myself, and I agree. A lovely rifle. Much nicer trigger, too. Mine’s the walnut model.

I also have an Xocet. I mentioned it because I associate rats with hard-use around barns, and if I was going to put a rifle through that, I would not want to do it to a quite rare and these days valuable walnut Longbow.

I have one of those myself, and I agree. A lovely rifle. Much nicer trigger, too. Mine’s the walnut model.

I also have an Xocet. I mentioned it because I associate rats with hard-use around barns, and if I was going to put a rifle through that, I would not want to do it to a quite rare and these days valuable walnut Longbow.
    Fair point.
    I've owned an xocet or 2 and they did shoot quite well.
    Cheers, food for thought
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I wouldn't call the 98 a light gun! It's only 500g less than the prosport, and you can order one in .25 to your door for about 400 quid odd

The 77K is the same weight as the prosport and is also shorter and can be had for less than the 98. It also has the bonus of a nice set of open sights.

Bear I mind if you order from Germany you'll have to respring the thing
    get one from Holland and you won't

Quote Originally Posted by Daveo View Post
    Why an xocet ?
    Because the Webleys all share the same internal sweep, so shoot the same from Vulcans / Excels onwards, but an Xocet is like £150 ish and people ask laughable prices for Longbows, as in might as well but a NEW HW95 .......
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

That too .......
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    and people ask laughable prices for Longbows, as in might as well but a NEW HW95 .......
    I own both and I would rather buy a SH Longbow than a new HW95k.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Because the Webleys all share the same internal sweep, so shoot the same from Vulcans / Excels onwards, but an Xocet is like £150 ish and people ask laughable prices for Longbows, as in might as well but a NEW HW95 .......
    The Xocet is, in my view, underrated. It handles very well, is built like a tank, and shoots fine to medium springer ranges. A great barn/garden gun.

I see your point on the Longbow and respect it, but disagree.

Practical reasons to like Birmingham Longbows (and sorted Tomahawks):

- Very good trigger. Nearly (though not quite) in the Rekord class.
    - Superb stock design (far better for scope use than a 95), with consequent excellent handling.
    - Hits where it’s pointed. Not a tuned 77, but still pretty good.

Non-practical “pride of ownership” reasons:

- Looks cool and Venom-y.
    - The last proper Webley, with Webley standards of finish.
    - They aren’t making any more. Get them while you can.