Thread: Two questions re H&N FTT .177

Eyefor is offline The Artist Formerly Known as Maple

Two questions re H&N FTT .177

Apologies in advance if these questions regarding H&N FTT in .177 have been asked before but

1. The tins I have seen online say 4.5 so are they 4.5, 4.51 or 4.52

and

2. Where can I buy a trial tin (50?) of 4.52 please?

Many thanks.
    If it flies, floats or fornicates, always rent it - it's cheaper in the long run. - Felix Dennis

Although I haven't used them before personally, I think it's "Pellet Perfect" who you need for the sample packs.

Not sure if H&N do their own sample packs also, but I think they would include samples of different pellets as opposed to different (quoted) head sizes of the same pellet?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Although I haven't used them before personally, I think it's "Pellet Perfect" who you need for the sample packs.

Not sure if H&N do their own sample packs also, but I think they would include samples of different pellets as opposed to different (quoted) head sizes of the same pellet?
    Just ordered from Pellet Perfect and added a trial tin of 4.52 BisMags as well.

Many thanks.
    If it flies, floats or fornicates, always rent it - it's cheaper in the long run. - Felix Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    1. The tins I have seen online say 4.5 so are they 4.5, 4.51 or 4.52.
    General consensus ...

It won't matter what it says. The head sizes quoted on most tins are usually pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    General consensus ...

It won't matter what it says. The head sizes quoted on most tins are usually pointless.
    Thanks for the reply and I agree...but it's what goes on inside the head that can matter?

Which is why I weigh every bullet, empty case, powder charge and completed round when I'm centre fire reloading because when I miss, I know it is my fault.

1. The tins I have seen online say 4.5 so are they 4.5, 4.51 or 4.52.
    Thanks for the reply and I agree...but it's what goes on inside the head that can matter?

Which is why I weigh every bullet, empty case, powder charge and completed round when I'm centre fire reloading because when I miss, I know it is my fault.
    Ah ... ok ... so you are asking if people have measured theirs and what size they found them to be?

I would imagine that batches will vary.

The last H&N FTT that I measured was back in 2015. They were very consistent as opposed to the JSB which were all over the place. I measured 10x and all 10 were 4.48.

As above ... I can't see every batch they make being exactly the same size to 0.01mm.

Do you have a barrel that you believe shoots a certain head size well? I also can't believe that if it shot a batch of one brand well that was say 4.52, that that means it will shoot other pellets from other brands that are 4.52 well.

You really should not take too much notice of stated numbers here. I gave up worrying about head sizes ages ago. The pellets are light and small and in my experience the weight variation-on the very few occasions when I bother to weigh pellets-is always there. The concept of 'spurious accuracy' comes to mind here. Anyone on here who gives power ratings to 2 places of decimals i.e 11.47 ft lb is guilty of this. OK some members on here use laboratory scales to measure pellet weight but most of us use the widely available electronic variety which have not been independently tested. What I am in effect saying is 'don't bother with over analysing pellets.' Just find the make that suits your gun best and use them. I have found that pellet hardness (which comes from the antimony content of the lead mix) is more important in determining accuracy.
    Any comparisons with your regime with centrefire ammunition does NOT translate into small light airgun pellets so my advice would be-don't waste your time worrying about it.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    The concept of 'spurious accuracy' comes to mind here. Anyone on here who gives power ratings to 2 places of decimals i.e 11.47 ft lb is guilty of this....

What I am in effect saying is 'don't bother with over analysing pellets.' Just find the make that suits your gun best and use them.
    Agree entirely. Hits on target are more important than maths. Maths is useful when it increases hits on target. But maths is not an end in itself. The desired end is hits, not a spreadsheet.

Including on the “11.47” point. I am no statistician, but unless you shot 100 rounds (or is it 500, 1000?), a small string will not give you repeatable accuracy to two decimal points. If “11.47” was a ten-shot string, the next ten might average at 11.29, the next at 11.61.. And it wouldn’t matter on target!

As a Springer shooter who thumb loads every pellet in to the breech can confirm the advice from all of the above, the head size on the tin means absolutely nothing. I've had 4.5 pellets feel tighter to load than 4.53 from the same manufacturer and as for weight variation I've noticed no difference at all over 45 yards, I weighed a new tin of 500 and pitted the lightest against the heaviest, both hit the the same mark.

I buy a tin, I open the tin, I shoot the tin. I even shoot with the bent ones & that's .177 & .22 pellets. I also shoot air FAC plus .22lr, 17hmr, .223 & 12g. If I started on the downward spiral of weighing everything I would give up shooting.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Yes, they do give 'sizes' - when a few of us up the club decided to try them, if I recall, they were fairly accurate sizes, the difference between their 4.50 & 4.52 tins was marked in groups produced (albeit with guns that do well on other pellets) but not as good as with the various guns 'regular' pellets, so our tests were finished.