Thread: Diana sidelevers ok for a lefty?

Diana sidelevers ok for a lefty?

I have a itch for a Diana side leaver but will it work with that big lever sticking out the wrong side? I have had to live with stocks not being right for me but if anyone who has one could give it a try mounted south side and see what happens would be much appreciated.

I use a 48 Black Pro right handed. Used the other way round, your thumb is under the lever. Probably wouldn't seem that uncomfortable though once you have gotten use to it. The 48 also has no cheekpiece, but the 52 has and isn't an ambi.

As good as the Diana sidelevers are (and they are very good) I can't see the advantage - for the life of me - over the modernised version of the Airsporter which is none other than the Air Arms Prosport.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleman View Post
    As good as the Diana sidelevers are (and they are very good) I can't see the advantage - for the life of me - over the modernised version of the Airsporter which is none other than the Air Arms Prosport.
    I get that.

I guess my answer would be that sometimes you just want something, even if a purely rational analysis would suggest something else? That I think explains why I own “so many” (copyright Mrs Geezer) guns. I mean, I own some guns that i actually do not like, but I still like owning them, which is weird but not unique.

And you’re right that the 48/52, despite being big and heavy and made for nearly twice our legal limit, are pretty good. Especially used. I think my decent 1980s 52 cost me £140. I couldn’t get a used PS for anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    I have a itch for a Diana side leaver but will it work with that big lever sticking out the wrong side? I have had to live with stocks not being right for me but if anyone who has one could give it a try mounted south side and see what happens would be much appreciated.
    Righty, but I use a D52 (and a Tracker and a Jackal). Apart from slightly clunkier cocking, I cant see any problem. And the 48/52 in 12 ft-lbs form is one of the easiest-cocking springers I have encountered. I imagine that, from a firing hold, you’d slide your left hand forward onto the fore-end, cock with the right hand, load with right while blocking lever (belt and braces) with right elbow/upper arm, return lever with right hand, move right to fore end, slide left back to grip. Job done.

And the 48/52 have pretty basic classic stocks, which may help you. The 48 stock may best.

Is there somewhere (shop, club, mate?) where you could at least handle one or even try it out?

I'm right handed and cock my Springers with my left hand.
    So, even though the sidelever is on the wrong side for you, you would probably get used to it, without thinking about it.
    Dance like no one is watching.
    Sing like no one can hear.
    Scratch yourself like you think the zoom meeting has ended.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Two200's View Post
    I'm right handed and cock my Springers with my left hand.
    So, even though the sidelever is on the wrong side for you, you would probably get used to it, without thinking about it.
    Not sure you would get used to it as the lever is a bit awkward look how far it goes back and sticks out of the right side a long way.
    If anyone fancied a Diana airsporter look project its not hard to improve on the one in the picture

Thanks, sounds like I can get on with it and will look out for the more ambi 48 stock version.

There is no reason for it just I am enjoying the rebuild of the 50 and fancy a large volume boinger so might as well go all out and get a side lever!

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Had a yearning for a 54 Airking and finally got one !
    Had a good tuning job done on it but I simply (as a lefty) could not get on with it and ultimately sold it.

Put u/levers where they belong (for all shooters) under the stock !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Had a good tuning job done on it but I simply (as a lefty) could not get on with it and ultimately sold it.

Evening mate. I can imagine as a leftie tye 54 was a bit less than ideal for you, considering its loading method n.handing. But did you not rate the gun in general or were your issues purely related to it being more set up for right handed users? Of course the stock on a 54 is not ambi either.
    The only reason I ask is that I've used mine on squirrels this summer and though it is tad heavier than my usual HW80, its lack of recoil and accuracy has been a revelation. It pole axes the squirrels, but to be fair its .25 calibre and 24 grain pellets are always going to sting a bit.
    Just curious on your overall take on the gun? Btw was it .177 or .22?
    Dave

Evening Dave, for a start, I loved the gun and after the tune it was even better. However, despite the weight the right handed cocking never felt comfortable to me.
    I tend to view the operation of all air rifles from a hunting perspective as thats all I do nowadays and anything that does not operate silky smooth and functional doesn't cut it with me.
    I have some superb heavy left handed air rifles that I used to hunt with, both break barrel and underlever but the right handed cocking arm does not feel comfortbly practical for me in a hunting situation.

So to sum up the 54 and 52 are great air rifles but the right handed cocking arm is not for me.

Should add, I have both a FWB 300S and 300SU both left handed stocks but with right handed cocking arms but I repard them as collectable "fun guns" and so allow for their anomolies.
    Last edited by Blackrider; 30-11-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    I’m a Lefty and wanted a side lever to add to my collection but having tried one of mates at the Range I really couldn’t get on with it at all. I tried and tried but..... it all felt very awkward and put me off buying one. Shame really.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

What did you have done to it tunewise, if I may ask?

Reason being, I have recently acquired a 56TH off of someone who bought one direct from Germany and decided that they just couldn't manage the weight etc. It was never really used or opened up, so still has the German spec spring etc.

So, it needs sorting one way or another.

It's ridiculous, but I love it! Hope to get the best out of it and stick a bipod on it. Or under it even.

Or buy a Hilux to mount it in the back of!

Cheers,
    Tim
    Last edited by TRS1; 01-12-2018 at 01:58 PM.

Never shot one, but as a lefty, it seemed to be wrong. Did try a lefty tx200, that again i found awkward, compared to using a 77 or a 97

Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    What did you have done to it tunewise, if I may ask?

Reason being, I have recently acquired a 56TH off of someone who bought one direct from Germany and decided that they just couldn't manage the weight etc. It was never really used or opened up, so still has the German spec spring etc.

So, it needs sorting one way or another.

It's ridiculous, but I love it! Hope to get the best out of it and stick a bipod on it. Or under it even.

Or buy a Hilux to mount it in the back of!

Cheers,
    Tim
    The details escape me now as it was a while back but it was basically short stroked and tweeked internally and I think the trigger was also attended to
    I was pleased with the end result as it had just about nil recoil and shot accurately but it was so alkward to cock
    Oh it had the spring replaced also
    “An airgun or two”………

The details escape me now as it was a while back but it was basically short stroked and tweeked internally and I think the trigger was also attended to
    I was pleased with the end result as it had just about nil recoil and shot accurately but it was so alkward to cock
    Oh it had the spring replaced also
    Thanks for the reply... May need to start a thread of my own!