Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: are modern pellets good enough?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    The design and packaging of pellets hasn't changed much in decades and in some cases the quality has dropped. But airguns in general especially PCP has changed beyond recognition, when you look at what's on offer in the states and over here. the power and ranges have been stretched to a level I thought id never see. Semi auto systems and probe operating magazines really test the Humble lead pellet. Do you think pellets have kept pace with technology? When I open a new tin of pellets and see them all rammed in, I sometimes think they haven't.
    I have actually collectected a number of pellets with damaged skirts and with a full magagine of them accuracy didn't suffer at all. These were Air Arms Diablo Field and as you may know the skirts are quite thin so the air pressure behind them was more than sufficient to reform them creating the fit to the barrel.
    I didn't chrono these but i would have thought the FPS eould have been a bit lower.

Regards

Martin

Longbenton North Tyneside. +Dinnington FTC.
    Check out Sheffield Air rifles Im sure Ive seen Crosman Premiers in Boxes of 1250 in stock.

At least the Wasps have consistent quality secure screw cap tins.....those bloody expensive pellets have crap thin tins with fall off lids.....

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    When I open a new tin of pellets and see them all rammed in, I sometimes think they haven't.
    I've never seen a tin where the pellets have been "rammed in" - if I did, I wouldn't buy them again.

Most of the pellets I buy have foam top/bottom to allow the tins to be full, but without squashing the contents.

I wonder how many people finding more than a few damaged pellets are buying them from t'internet rather than a physical shop?

That's where you really need the tins full so that they don't damage themselves in transit or when the post staff either lob them from bin to bin or drop them a metre through your letterbox