Thread: PCP Buddy bottle help needed

PCP Buddy bottle help needed

Hi, I have an AA S200 which gives me 60 -70 shots on a full tank, No problem at home I just refill from my divers bottle, but i want a smaller lighter bottle to carry around with me. I have heard of buddy bottles and I assume thats what they do, any one any ideas where I can get a bottle and whatever i need to fill the gun from it and to fill the bottle from my big dive bottle?

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmytwobikes View Post
    Hi, I have an AA S200 which gives me 60 -70 shots on a full tank, No problem at home I just refill from my divers bottle, but i want a smaller lighter bottle to carry around with me. I have heard of buddy bottles and I assume thats what they do, any one any ideas where I can get a bottle and whatever i need to fill the gun from it and to fill the bottle from my big dive bottle?
    A buddy bottle is a small bottle for use on an air rifle, like a Rapid, Super 10, R10, what you are after is one of these....

https://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shop/...pper-cylinder/

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    A buddy bottle is a small bottle for use on an air rifle, like a Rapid, Super 10, R10, what you are after is one of these....

That is fabulous, looks ideal, cheers mate, I'll get myself one.

That is fabulous, looks ideal, cheers mate, I'll get myself one.
    Will i be able to fill it from my dive bottle? do you fill it from the output?

secretagentmole Guest
    Will i be able to fill it from my dive bottle? do you fill it from the output?
    Yes you can couple it (ooh er missus, connect it?) to your dive cylinder, open the valve on the small cylinder first, then on your dive cylinder, fill to 250 bar, then shut off, have a tea, a read of the forum, check pressure on the small bottle then top up again to 250 bar, close both cylinders off, bleed the air line and uncouple...

would've thought a 3lt 300 bar tank would be a better choice

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    would've thought a 3lt 300 bar tank would be a better choice
    Why would you want to lug 10kg of steel around un-necessarily ?

Good to take to a club but not to carry in the field.

Bestfittings were doing a carbon fibre bottle 1 litre. That would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Why would you want to lug 10kg of steel around un-necessarily ?

Good to take to a club but not to carry in the field.
    stick it in your boot and top up as required when you call back to get a brew

stick it in your boot and top up as required when you call back to get a brew
    Yep agreed, but again that's not carrying in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Yep agreed, but again that's not carrying in the field.
    op said nothing about carrying in the field though just to carry with him

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post

The problem is that at 250 bar you may not get that may fills with it.

250 bar at 500cc is 125,000cc at 1 bar

S200 cylinder is around 150cc and fill to 190 bar, shoot down to say 130 bar? 150cc at +60 bar needed to top up, 9000 cc at 1 bar.

But you only have 500cc at 60 bar difference before the buddy bottle is down to 190 bar itself, which is 30000 cc at 1 bar. So doing the maths, you'll get about 3 fills before you're down to 190 bar in the buddy bottle, depending on whip length. You'll get maybe 1-2 fills below that, but they'll drop down below 190 bar quick.

Depends on how long you're out for and how much ease you want, and carry weight. If it's in the back of a car and a short walk, or you're shooting from a fixed position where you can take a small bottle then a 3L 300 bar bottle will give you a lot more fills for probably only £20 more and it only weighs around 4kg if you get a stumpy one and around 5-6 if you get a long one.

A 3L 300 bar bottle will give you about 330,000cc at 1 bar overhead, meaning you'll get about 30 fills before dropping down below 190 bar.

I've got a stumpy 3L I can weigh if you're interested.

If you're walking around and carrying the buddy bottle then it may pay to go for a 500cc, but you're paying a lot for that luxury.
    Last edited by RobF; 18-09-2018 at 10:19 AM.

op said nothing about carrying in the field though just to carry with him
    Well I made the assumption that at home or at a club you have no need to carry a cyl around, surely to refill you take the gun to the bottle , where as in the field you're often a long way away

all depends how far you wander from your car I suppose but with the amount of shots you get from a s200 if your shooting rabbits you would have to possibly return to the motor as you'd struggle to carry them all if you hit every shot
    when you returned you could top up