Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: superdomes alternative

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Efficiency is pointless without accuracy

the accuracy is there but to around 20 yards, after that there not so accurate...didn't i read somewhere that there a close to medium range pellet !!

Accuracy at 20 yards isn’t accuracy. It’s just coincidence. A pellet has to be really bad not to manage grouping at that range. Some manage it though.

Try JSB.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Accuracy at 20 yards isn’t accuracy. It’s just coincidence. A pellet has to be really bad not to manage grouping at that range. Some manage it though.

Try JSB.
    Agreed 100%

I always select pellets on the 40 - 50m group sizes.

Cheers Steve

Are Sihouettes still available? I find them great in my old Webley Junior and Diana Model 24 but the one tin of .177's I had is getting woefully low.
    Jim

Try some RWS Hobbys, my 80 and 95 get on quite well with them, in fact I won't use anything else in them

Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
    Are Sihouettes still available?
    I believe they were discontinued around five to ten years ago.

As you've already tried FTT, as per some above posts, give the JSB derivatives a try (quite a few to go at) and also the RWS Hobby.

Bear in mind that if the rifle's running at 11.2 with 'Domes, it could quite easily be over with other pellets, so power test with as many as you can. The 12ft.lbs limit is an absolute figure, obtainable with ANY pellet and not just the ones you use.

Maybe get some sample packs to save on costs?

P.S. By the way, not knocking the good old Superdome, as many of my rifles like them in both .177 and .22 and I'd regard them as a reliable performer (if not the absolute best) in many guns.
    Last edited by TonyL; 22-12-2018 at 07:39 PM. Reason: P.S.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

No one has mentioned AA Diabolo fields yet. A very good pellet, suits lots of rifles.

jsb express 14.35g only a tad less weight than 14.5g superdomes-top pellet in my .22 hw95 and falcon accuracy plus 13.43g too would a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I believe they were discontinued around five to ten years ago.
    That's a shame as they are light and loose enough to suit the Webley Junior. I've tried Hobbys and Gecos but either they are too tight or are heavier than the Silhouette which I think worked well through having a smaller head and thinner skirt. Ah well I may have to resort to rolling some pellets between two hardsurfacesto reducethe diameter. I'll start withsome Superdomes and see how I get on with them and perhaps Accupells.
    Thanks for that info
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Efficiency is pointless without accuracy
    Yep what Dave said! ^^^^^^^^

Looks like your gun likes ammo about the 14.5gn weight.
    If you check out the following attached link to a pellet weight database you may be able to find something more suitable and quicker

https://www.shootingandscuba.co.uk/s...gun_calibre=22

Atb
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    In my experience I haven't found a single rifle that likes superdomes.

Exacts on the other hand I cant find a rifle that doesn't like them.
    Same here, used them for years and found them to be extremely good in everything, even at 30ft/lbs in my Rapid Mk1
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
    Same here, used them for years and found them to be extremely good in everything, even at 30ft/lbs in my Rapid Mk1
    My Diana 280 does, which is fortunate as it doesn't seem to like anything else!!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    A couple of points...

Superdomes are a large pellet, so consider other larger sized pellets (Bisley LRG for example, or hobby - but hobbies are also very ballistically inefficient see below)
    Superdomes are very inefficient through the air - so even if your FTTs (which are much more ballistically efficient) are leaving the muzzle with 1 FP less energy, at 25 yards there will be no difference, and FTT will have more energy further out.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.