Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most cheeky response to a sales advert you have ever had.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

Most cheeky response to a sales advert you have ever had.

Thought this would be a bit of fun in light of some of the stories I have read recently, I will start the ball rolling. I had an HW80 for sale a while back (not on the BBS). It was a lovely rifle and at a good price. I had one buyer ask if I could do it for that price and include a decent scope, case, and deliver to Southampton he might be interested, I kid you not.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

There was a nutter on here that used to offer really odd combinations of toy soldiers, crap guns and random household appliances in exchange for a rifle for sale

Believe he was called Saddletramp.

Nutter.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Must have been before my time, the name does not ring a bell.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

I put a really nice Paul Short tuned 97 up for sale on freeads in MAY, one guy asked if i would hang on to it until he got his Christmas bonus.....

Not a gun, but a watch. Stuck it on with very clear description of where I would post to, and included make an offer. So some chap thought he would make an offer via message, many hundreds of pounds over the asking price. If I would ship it to his son in the military abroad. everytime I pointed out the shipping details in the listing, he would raise his offer. I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but I didn't fall off the pumpkin track. Sadly some people would probably see the ££££ and next thing you know they're scammed.

Beyond that I don't tend to sell things, too much hassle. More fun just creating collections

I advertised a 25mm 77k. I had tuned it and had the top hat and rear guide custom made to fit that spring ( Delrin ). Polished it to bits and made sure it shot superb.

I did this as a hobby over winters.

I advertised it on here for 140 quid. A tuned 25mm 77k in 0.177 that shot suberb for 140 quid.

A well known member contacted me via PM and said he'd have the rifle but the deal MUST be done in PRIVATE.

I sold him the rifle and said I'd include postage, as he was a popular member. I also said I'd post it that same day on next day delivery and I didn't need to wait for his cheque. I also told him what pellet the rifle performed best with.

At 8am the next morning his wife is ringing me and asking why the rifle hadn't arrived. Honest . I assured her it would before 1pm. It did. The cheque arrived several days later.

A few days later the rifle appears for sale on here for a nice little profit. It sells quickly. The new owner posts on here that he had done this deal with XYZ. He advises people that if they need a 77 tuning they should send it to XYZ as this one shoots superb. He adds that XYZ even told him what the best pellet to use was.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    There was a nutter on here that used to offer really odd combinations of toy soldiers, crap guns and random household appliances in exchange for a rifle for sale

Believe he was called Saddletramp.

Nutter.
    I think I may have been one of his victims.

I was selling a rifle (???) and he PMd me - 'Would I swap for a freezer?'
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I.J. ... Was it a BSA?

An offer of a Freezer from a Geezer for a Beezer!

Er ... Coat please!

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    I advertised a 25mm 77k. I had tuned it and had the top hat and rear guide custom made to fit that spring ( Delrin ). Polished it to bits and made sure it shot superb.

I advertised it on here for 140 quid. A tuned 25mm 77k in 0.177 that shot suberb for 140 quid.

A well known member contacted me via PM and said he'd have the rifle but the deal MUST be done in PRIVATE.

I sold him the rifle and said I'd include postage, as he was a popular member. I also said I'd post it that same day on next day delivery and I didn't need to wait for his cheque. I also told him what pellet the rifle performed best with.

At 8am the next morning his wife is ringing me and asking why the rifle hadn't arrived. Honest . I assured her it would before 1pm. It did. The cheque arrived several days later.

A few days later the rifle appears for sale on here for a nice little profit. It sells quickly. The new owner posts on here that he had done this deal with XYZ. He advises people that if they need a 77 tuning they should send it to XYZ as this one shoots superb. He adds that XYZ even told him what the best pellet to use was.
    I think I’d be having to name him, that’s just a pi55 take.

I have had the usual insults when I politely say a will not take your offer of %50 bellow the asking price. As if they were doing you a favour

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

I saw that, it was a damn fine ad you'd written though, you should've asked for more!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I think that sort of behaviour is utterly appalling & should get an instant lifetime ban, sadly I've spotted it a few times & with one Rapid even using the same photos

My most cheeky was a quad on the bay, the potential buyer had previously asked the reserve, which had already been outbid & then asked to come & view, He arrived with a trailer which I thought odd as the auction had a few days to run, he then demanded I sell it for the reserve as "that was the price I had set"

Clearly the intent when buying it then Some people...

I have sold quite a lot of both airgun and archery stuff on the Bay and other sales sites and I've been quite shocked at how often I get a message almost immediately along the lines of I/my son/my friend is a disabled ex-serviceman/has been injured in a road accident etc etc, can you sell me the item ridiculously cheap, or sometimes, just give it to me?

I always message back saying that if they give me more details, including names, I will consider it, which I would if it checked out. Surprise, surprise, no one has ever replied. Not so much cheeky as disgusting...

Alan

Not quite a cheeky response

I did see someone on here complaining about people not turning up having agreed the price, when he/she did exactly same thing to me, thought that was a bit cheeky.
    HW30STL .177, HW45 Blackstar .177, HW77 .177, LGV Challenger .177, BSA Airsporter S Mk1 .22. Original 65 .177, BSA Lightning GRT .177, HW99 .177.