Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it about the 80?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What is it about the 80?

Hi all...
    What is it about the 80? I don't own one and I've only shot 2 or 3 so I'm really in no position to comment, but many do. It's not as famous as the 77/97, not as practical as the 95, not as light & sweet as the 30, 57 & 99. I'm dreaming up a new break barrel to put a nice 4x42 or my 2-7 on and I'm wondering if an 80 might be the ticket. For some reason I don't like the 95 & although it's the obvious one I don't like it, it's boring!!, The 99 isn't but to me doesn't have the barrel interchangeability that I want. so from your experiences what is it that you like about the 80? And why might I like one?
    Thanks all
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

First off I think the 80 will be popular with shooters of a certain age. During the early 80s the 80 was the gun to aspire to, due in part to the fact that the 80 made power easily, and lets face it we were power mad back then.
    The late John Darling shot one, and Venom were doing some wonderful things with them. When the 77 came along it did eclipse it to a degree, but it never really went away.
    So in essence I think some well placed nostalgia is at work here, anyone serious about airguns should have at least one 80 (I have two), in the collection.

the 80 is the best break barrel ever made.i bought a brand new 80 last year, it was a cracking gun BUT it weighs a ton.ive had hw35, hw99s,both were good but the 80 is better,these are built like tanks but same weight as a tank aswell lol.hw98 never had 1 but many say its best break barrel weirauch made.

Microwave chip and Crispy Pancakes and lots of outer delicious food in invented in the 80's

The Hw80 is a man's gun, that is you'll have to be of a certain stature to hold and use the rifle. A bit like if going up a flight of stairs is too much for you, then the 80 will also be. Most owners are of a certain age as to appreciate quality engineering, as this rifle just oozes it. Don't buy one until you have tried it for size and fit. If it ticks those boxes, get your wallet out !

The HW80 is like comparing the Austin Allegro to the AC Cobra. Yes, the HW80 is a muscle machine and deservedly so. From its history to its future, it will earn its place in Weihrauch history....Not quite as good as the BSA Superstar I may add though......

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    The HW80 is like comparing the Austin Allegro to the AC Cobra. Yes, the HW80 is a muscle machine and deservedly so. From its history to its future, it will earn its place in Weihrauch history....Not quite as good as the BSA Superstar I may add though......
    I had an Allegro once royal blue one, had it given to me never let me down ... well not until the exhaust fell off on bumpy bridge, bumpy bridge I hear you ask? those who know the way to Barmouth from Shrewsbury will know the toll bridge across the estuary, bumpy because it is made from very uneven railway sleepers. Surprising more parts didn't fall off really!
    Guns and boats .... works for me

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    I'd never thought of it before, but you're right. The HW99 is the Austin Allegro of the airgun world.

Rhys, I know you never rush into things, but did you try Craig's HW80 in .25 at the bash?
    That's what you want, that!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

What is it about the 80?

Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post
    the 80 is the best break barrel ever made.i bought a brand new 80 last year, it was a cracking gun BUT it weighs a ton.ive had hw35, hw99s,both were good but the 80 is better,these are built like tanks but same weight as a tank aswell lol.hw98 never had 1 but many say its best break barrel weirauch made.
    the only reason I've never owned one really, the weight, exellent guns.

Apart from having a nicely tuned 80, one way you can improve them is to fit a 98 sleeve to them.

Adds about another half a kilo and looks great. (Subjective)

I've done this with a couple of mine and makes me feel even more manly. Especially when I'm waving the .25 about.

Grrrr.
    Some V-glide 80's, V-glide Tomahawk and a couple of Rapids

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    First off I think the 80 will be popular with shooters of a certain age. During the early 80s the 80 was the gun to aspire to, due in part to the fact that the 80 made power easily, and lets face it we were power mad back then.
    The late John Darling shot one, and Venom were doing some wonderful things with them. When the 77 came along it did eclipse it to a degree, but it never really went away.
    So in essence I think some well placed nostalgia is at work here, anyone serious about airguns should have at least one 80 (I have two), in the collection.
    I think this basically answers the question. They are an iconic rifle for a certain age demographic.

Back when they were the latest new shiny thing, I rejected them, preferring the FWB Sport. I couldn’t see why you would want to lug around something which, with mandatory big scope was the length and weight of an L1A1 SLR in preference to the light, handy FWB.

In the US, the 80 (Beeman R1) caused a small sensation. The first rifle that not only exceeded 11-13 ft-lbs but that typically made 16-18 and could be tuned to 20. Fact is, a lot of those imported into the U.K. in the 80s were over the limit (or could be made so with a new spring) and the authorities didn’t seem to care much. I suspect that was a major factor in its success in the days when no-one bar ballistics labs owned a chrono. “Man’s gun; hits hard. Kills dustbins.”

This may sound like I don’t like the 80. Not so. It’s not my favourite. But it’s a historically important, high quality, and effective rifle. Personally, I think it’s a bit much at sub-12, but so is the Diana 52 or the Webley Tomahawk, and I quite like both of them in legal-limit versions. You could do a heck of a lot worse. And if you want a sensible pest control FAC springer, it remains a very good choice.

An HW80 with a vglide 25mm piston, walnut stock...nothing better. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    I would second this.

I have one in .22 and it is such a joy to shoot. There is a very gentle nudge of recoil and is probably my easiest spring gun to shoot accurately.
    The 98 barrel shroud does add weight and probably does not improve the balance point but as i only shoot bench rest it doesn't really effect it.

The only other 'standard' gun i have that comes close to the firing cycle is an equivalently tuned pro-elite, which is arguably more special due to its rarity, but not as good all round as the 80.
    The only spring gun that surpasses it is my Venom 80 which is hard to put into words how nice it is to shoot (let alone own).

I understand the arguments about it not really being suitable for our laws but if you are into tuning / fettling with air rifles, the results can be fantastic with them.
    Coupled with the fact that they are timeless, iconic, so robust and easy to improve, I believe that makes them the ultimate air rifle. (just not out of the box,).

This may be a bit contradictory but anyone who has a reduced cylinder one with a nice stock (as Mach 1.5 stated) would fully understand.

And the only reason i don't put any under levers n this bracket is because i don't really like under levers.
    Some V-glide 80's, V-glide Tomahawk and a couple of Rapids

Quote Originally Posted by C.V View Post

I understand the arguments about it not really being suitable for our laws but if you are into tuning / fettling with air rifles, the results can be fantastic with them.

Tis true. I have a Venom 'Lazyglide' '80 in .20 and its a lovely rifle to shoot. But the standard '80 is like a 3ltr milk float.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Too True....just sublime