Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it about the 80?

What is it about the 80?

Hi all...
    What is it about the 80? I don't own one and I've only shot 2 or 3 so I'm really in no position to comment, but many do. It's not as famous as the 77/97, not as practical as the 95, not as light & sweet as the 30, 57 & 99. I'm dreaming up a new break barrel to put a nice 4x42 or my 2-7 on and I'm wondering if an 80 might be the ticket. For some reason I don't like the 95 & although it's the obvious one I don't like it, it's boring!!, The 99 isn't but to me doesn't have the barrel interchangeability that I want. so from your experiences what is it that you like about the 80? And why might I like one?
    Thanks all
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

First off I think the 80 will be popular with shooters of a certain age. During the early 80s the 80 was the gun to aspire to, due in part to the fact that the 80 made power easily, and lets face it we were power mad back then.
    The late John Darling shot one, and Venom were doing some wonderful things with them. When the 77 came along it did eclipse it to a degree, but it never really went away.
    So in essence I think some well placed nostalgia is at work here, anyone serious about airguns should have at least one 80 (I have two), in the collection.

the 80 is the best break barrel ever made.i bought a brand new 80 last year, it was a cracking gun BUT it weighs a ton.ive had hw35, hw99s,both were good but the 80 is better,these are built like tanks but same weight as a tank aswell lol.hw98 never had 1 but many say its best break barrel weirauch made.

Microwave chip and Crispy Pancakes and lots of outer delicious food in invented in the 80's

The Hw80 is a man's gun, that is you'll have to be of a certain stature to hold and use the rifle. A bit like if going up a flight of stairs is too much for you, then the 80 will also be. Most owners are of a certain age as to appreciate quality engineering, as this rifle just oozes it. Don't buy one until you have tried it for size and fit. If it ticks those boxes, get your wallet out !

The HW80 is like comparing the Austin Allegro to the AC Cobra. Yes, the HW80 is a muscle machine and deservedly so. From its history to its future, it will earn its place in Weihrauch history....Not quite as good as the BSA Superstar I may add though......

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Hi all...
    What is it about the 80? I don't own one and I've only shot 2 or 3 so I'm really in no position to comment, but many do. It's not as famous as the 77/97, not as practical as the 95, not as light & sweet as the 30, 57 & 99.
    I disagree with EVERY single one of them comments.
    Master Debater

Just hold and shoot a nicely set up mk1 80, Lovely guns.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    (What is it about the 80?)

Its a genuine adult airgun that is quality and time tested I also like it having a end block

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    The HW80 is like comparing the Austin Allegro to the AC Cobra. Yes, the HW80 is a muscle machine and deservedly so. From its history to its future, it will earn its place in Weihrauch history....Not quite as good as the BSA Superstar I may add though......
    I had an Allegro once royal blue one, had it given to me never let me down ... well not until the exhaust fell off on bumpy bridge, bumpy bridge I hear you ask? those who know the way to Barmouth from Shrewsbury will know the toll bridge across the estuary, bumpy because it is made from very uneven railway sleepers. Surprising more parts didn't fall off really!
    Guns and boats .... works for me

id rather use a gat gun than a bsa lol

Had an 80 back in the 80's, then went on to fullbore handguns. I returned to air rifles 2 years ago, & i have had all sorts since then, but the 80, i currently have 2 of them, 177 & 25, i just like them, & 77's have 2 of those as well...
    I got a 30 a week ago to shoot at 10m & the 6 yard comps, but it just feels like a toy, so i think it will go, & if i can get a barrel with iron sights for the 80 that will be my 10m rifle, i just like them.

Rob

Well I got back into air rifles after a long break and was going to buy a pro sport but an hw80 was up for sale and as a kid it was the gun I dreamed of owning, so I just had to get one, and wow no regrets the thing feels lighter than you expect and it well balanced, will outlive all my other rifles (and proberbly outlive me too)

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Hi all...
    What is it about the 80? I don't own one and I've only shot 2 or 3 so I'm really in no position to comment, but many do. It's not as famous as the 77/97, not as practical as the 95, not as light & sweet as the 30, 57 & 99. I'm dreaming up a new break barrel to put a nice 4x42 or my 2-7 on and I'm wondering if an 80 might be the ticket. For some reason I don't like the 95 & although it's the obvious one I don't like it, it's boring!!, The 99 isn't but to me doesn't have the barrel interchangeability that I want. so from your experiences what is it that you like about the 80? And why might I like one?
    Thanks all
    Rhys
    They are a iconic springer and can perform as good as any thing made today.
    You already have a very nice Laminate 77, so weight won't be an issue for you Rhys.
    I am picking up my 3rd 80 in couple of weeks time. A Factory Tyrolean stocked rifle in .22.
    I will bring it to the next Bash for you to have a play with.
    Les..

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    I'd never thought of it before, but you're right. The HW99 is the Austin Allegro of the airgun world.

Rhys, I know you never rush into things, but did you try Craig's HW80 in .25 at the bash?
    That's what you want, that!
    God rest ye jelly mental men