Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is it about the 80?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    Too True....just sublime
    I'm betting it will be improved on by my impending delivery!

While the HW80 is a legend but at U.K. power levels I much prefer a HW95.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 17-09-2018 at 07:17 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I have to point out the weight thing about the HW80 . . . On paper it's as heavy as a TX200, but when held the TX feels way heavier and the hw80 feels balanced, not once have I ever been out with the 80 and felt it too heavy, and I'm a slim guy too

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind666 View Post
    I have to point out the weight thing about the HW80 . . . On paper it's as heavy as a TX200, but when held the TX feels way heavier and the hw80 feels balanced, not once have I ever been out with the 80 and felt it too heavy, and I'm a slim guy too
    I agree with you. Balance is a special thing. Unless you have to carry it in your hands for miles, a well-balanced heavy gun can be a very good thing, especially in a springer. The 80 has that, as does the 77K. Although I still prefer a well-balanced light rifle (eg Webley Longbow).

Having owned an 80 from 1982-4 as my rabbit gun, unusually in that era .177" and excellent for the purpose both open sighted and later, Tasco scoped, then fallen as many did for the 77 and got rid, it didn't occur to me to have another, until....
    Trumpetier produced for sale a mint 1981 .22" at Nov '16 B/Bash.

Handling one was a treat after 30yrs so I bagged it.

Not so mint now after thousands of pellets and many strip downs but what a rifle.

It became horrid to shoot after my initially effective strip, clean & moly.

Next, home made piston sleeve from Brut deodorant. Later, TbT kit which took a lot of fitting, then collapsing coils of spring the rifle came with.

Shoots really sweetly std stroke JSB 16gr, effortlessly precise, beats everything else I've got.

I think I've quite by accident and in stages hit upon an excellent set up, one I doubt I could reproduce in another gun, or even this if any parts go.

I never minded the weight as a lad either, it probably helps the shooting, and in summary a good looking, well made rugged workhorse that well merits its status.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Hi all...
    What is it about the 80? I don't own one and I've only shot 2 or 3 so I'm really in no position to comment, but many do. It's not as famous as the 77/97, not as practical as the 95, not as light & sweet as the 30, 57 & 99.
    I disagree with EVERY single one of them comments.
    Master Debater

Just hold and shoot a nicely set up mk1 80, Lovely guns.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    (What is it about the 80?)

Its a genuine adult airgun that is quality and time tested I also like it having a end block

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Hi all...
    What is it about the 80? I don't own one and I've only shot 2 or 3 so I'm really in no position to comment, but many do. It's not as famous as the 77/97, not as practical as the 95, not as light & sweet as the 30, 57 & 99. I'm dreaming up a new break barrel to put a nice 4x42 or my 2-7 on and I'm wondering if an 80 might be the ticket. For some reason I don't like the 95 & although it's the obvious one I don't like it, it's boring!!, The 99 isn't but to me doesn't have the barrel interchangeability that I want. so from your experiences what is it that you like about the 80? And why might I like one?
    Thanks all
    Rhys
    They are a iconic springer and can perform as good as any thing made today.
    You already have a very nice Laminate 77, so weight won't be an issue for you Rhys.
    I am picking up my 3rd 80 in couple of weeks time. A Factory Tyrolean stocked rifle in .22.
    I will bring it to the next Bash for you to have a play with.
    Les..