Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: youtube vid: 'RECOILESS AIR PISTOLS - A BRIEF HISTORY' finally up

Thanks very much for producing a truly excellent video which is also very informative which I think would be of interest to even a non-enthusiast due to your lucid narration.
    I have a Diana Modell 6 and a FWB 65 and they are great examples of superb engineering and ingenuity.
    I feel this has prompted me to use them more often.

Much appreciated and I hope you continue to produce more videos of this nature featuring other significant Airguns as you certainly have a talent for presenting this type of thing.

Cheers,
    Graeme

I think the Giss System of the Model 10 was ‘percieved’ as being more difficult to service than the FWB 65, as it was all hidden, and probably by shooters who weren’t too comfortable servicing them themselves. Lots of people had told me they were tricky to reassemble and that you had to mark the cog teeth to help with reassembly, which sounds a bit of a faff.

It’s been interesting hearing quite a few people on here say that once you had taken a few apart that the Giss is actually easier to work on than the FWB sledge pistols.

I wonder if the Model 10 would have been a bit more successful if this perception had been different?
    I suppose people go for whatever the world champions are using.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I think the Giss System of the Model 10 was ‘percieved’ as being more difficult to service than the FWB 65, as it was all hidden, and probably by shooters who weren’t too comfortable servicing them themselves. Lots of people had told me they were tricky to reassemble and that you had to mark the cog teeth to help with reassembly, which sounds a bit of a faff.

It’s been interesting hearing quite a few people on here say that once you had taken a few apart that the Giss is actually easier to work on than the FWB sledge pistols.

I wonder if the Model 10 would have been a bit more successful if this perception had been different?
    I suppose people go for whatever the world champions are using.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    I think the writing was on the wall when PCP pistols and rifles started to win the medals. Not a perception but stark reality.
    I was a bit apprehensive the first time that I opened up a Giss action on a Mod 65 Diana, and I think that having been through most Giss systems in rifle and pistol format, the assembly of the pistons is less involving than the related levers and safety mechanism.
    Actually I find that timing the two pistons to perfection is what gives me a great satisfaction when I take one apart and I really like the Giss system.
    Great video, well done and thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    I think the writing was on the wall when PCP pistols and rifles started to win the medals. Not a perception but stark reality.
    I was a bit apprehensive the first time that I opened up a Giss action on a Mod 65 Diana, and I think that having been through most Giss systems in rifle and pistol format, the assembly of the pistons is less involving than the related levers and safety mechanism.
    Actually I find that timing the two pistons to perfection is what gives me a great satisfaction when I take one apart and I really like the Giss system.
    Great video, well done and thanks for sharing.
    Any chance of a quick explanation of how to time them please? I'm acquiring a model 75 soon and will be giving it a service. I've never had a giss gun before, so very interested in any tips and tricks on getting them shooting perfectly
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Any chance of a quick explanation of how to time them please? I'm acquiring a model 75 soon and will be giving it a service. I've never had a giss gun before, so very interested in any tips and tricks on getting them shooting perfectly
    Hi,
    yes of course, but no such thing as a quick or short explanation if you contemplate to overhaul a Giss type Diana.

There are quite a few things to cover and explain to someone who has never had one apart, so an explanation ends up being a bit longer than explaining that of an ordinary springer's overhaul. I was like you a few years ago and now I know what makes these airguns such a joy to shoot and you just have to admire their mechanical genius. All you need is patience, a fair bit of mechanical aptitude and not rush through the process.

I can send you a rather long e mail detailing how I go about an overhaul of the Giss system and some pictures if you wish.

D

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    Hi,
    yes of course, but no such thing as a quick or short explanation if you contemplate to overhaul a Giss type Diana.

There are quite a few things to cover and explain to someone who has never had one apart, so an explanation ends up being a bit longer than explaining that of an ordinary springer's overhaul. I was like you a few years ago and now I know what makes these airguns such a joy to shoot and you just have to admire their mechanical genius. All you need is patience, a fair bit of mechanical aptitude and not rush through the process.

I can send you a rather long e mail detailing how I go about an overhaul of the Giss system and some pictures if you wish.

D
    That would be very much appreciated.. I'm no stranger to working on guns, just to give you an idea of my aptitude level.. I have a lathe and have been tuning and making bits and bobs for a free years now.. the stripping, cleaning and reassembling doesn't phase me, I'd just like to get the 'timing' right first time. I have my idea of what's going on and how to go about it, but I'm not ignorant enough to not take advice from others who have walked this path before me!
    Thanks mate, my email is thisisdonald@gmail.com
    Donald

Hi,
    email with pictures sent
    D

Cracking video - informative and well made.
    Great shooting skills too.

I now need to get an FWB 100 to keep my 80 company.
    And an Original 6.
    Awww soddit - and an Original 10!

Excellent video; enjoyable and informative to watch

Thanks for taking the time and effort to produce it.
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Brimfire View Post
    Cracking video - informative and well made.
    Great shooting skills too.

I now need to get an FWB 100 to keep my 80 company.
    And an Original 6.
    Awww soddit - and an Original 10!
    Thanks,
    They are all great pistols to shoot, but for one-handed 10m the FWB100 is phenomenal.
    Always loads on egun.de, that’s where I got mine.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Well done Matt, fantastic video.

You must have spent hours producing it.

Loved the cutaway Diana too.

Really enjoyed the video, iv'e been a FWB fan for many years, it was like a trip back in time.
    Cheers Jack