Thread: Short Stroke v Long Stroke

Short Stroke v Long Stroke

After reading the What is it about the 80 thread I decided to get mine out and have a blatt. This particular one is 22 & now has a 20mm shorter stroke plus buttons etc running at 11.3 with falcon accuracy plus. The big thing I noticed after shooting my 22 Diana 34 is how noisy it is. Not mechanical, just goes with a crack despite a vmach steel silencer v the unsilenced Diana in k form. I was wondering if this is to do with the stroke. Its fairly stable on firing and consistent, could it be the piston coming to rest quite sharply? It has one of the new HW seals fitted. What do the tuners think?? To me the Diana is much more pleasant.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I think the stroke is possibly too short, making it oversprung for it's power. A 15mm reduction in stroke goves it the same swept volume as the Hw35 which is pleasant to shoot.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    After reading the What is it about the 80 thread I decided to get mine out and have a blatt. This particular one is 22 & now has a 20mm shorter stroke plus buttons etc running at 11.3 with falcon accuracy plus. The big thing I noticed after shooting my 22 Diana 34 is how noisy it is. Not mechanical, just goes with a crack despite a vmach steel silencer v the unsilenced Diana in k form. I was wondering if this is to do with the stroke. Its fairly stable on firing and consistent, could it be the piston coming to rest quite sharply? It has one of the new HW seals fitted. What do the tuners think?? To me the Diana is much more pleasant.
    Is that a 22mm bore and 20mm reduction in stroke. I'd hazard a guess it may be too low on swept volume. Others more experienced may comment on this.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    i think he means it's .22 cal...

and yeah, stroke might be a fraction short, but the trans port is much shorter than the HW 35, so even with the same stroke it'll be a fair bit more efficient, and better looking
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hmmm, have a selection of various short Stroke heads, may have to have a switcheroo and see what happens. Got a 15mm one in one of my 177 80's. Will have a shot to compare!!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    As a minority long stroke fan I suppose that I would say that long strokes are more pleasant my 80 is a pleasure to shoot with its full stroke, its soft smooth and so easy to cock and all I have done to it in 16 years from new is debure, polish, relube and a custom spring guide, I would say it's not so noisy at the mussel as the 15.5 in barrel 34, the 80 is 16 in barrel, I have just shot over 10 shots after not shooting it for over a year and the fps were very consistent and it was accurate at a close range test. It is just under 11 ft/lb with .22 JBS.
    Is your 34 a T01 as the stroke is a few mm longer than the T06.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    As a minority long stroke fan I suppose that I would say that long strokes are more pleasant my 80 is a pleasure to shoot with its full stroke, its soft smooth and so easy to cock and all I have done to it in 16 years from new is debure, polish, relube and a custom spring guide, I would say it's not so noisy at the mussel as the 15.5 in barrel 34, the 80 is 16 in barrel, I have just shot over 10 shots after not shooting it for over a year and the fps were very consistent and it was accurate at a close range test. It is just under 11 ft/lb with .22 JBS.
    Is your 34 a T01 as the stroke is a few mm longer than the T06.
    Hi Barry, yes a T01. I have 3 80's, the, 20mm short stroked 22, a 15mm stroked 177 and a standard stroke 177. I have three because I like fiddling with them but I kept one standard (except for fitted guides) so I could compare after I had altered the others! Like the 80 thread says, there is something about them!! Same with rapids and Diana 34's for me too.
    Last edited by maximus; 20-09-2018 at 06:11 PM.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Hmmm, have a selection of various short Stroke heads, may have to have a switcheroo and see what happens. Got a 15mm one in one of my 177 80's. Will have a shot to compare!!
    I think if I had a selection of different stroke reducing heads I'd be trying it at 70mm stroke.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I think if I had a selection of different stroke reducing heads I'd be trying it at 70mm stroke.
    Got one of them, in fact I think it used to be in it! It does shoot quite nicely at the moment but as I said it's loud. I omitted to mention that it only has a 10" barrel with the vmach silencer fitted.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I think the stroke is possibly too short, making it oversprung for it's power. A 15mm reduction in stroke goves it the same swept volume as the Hw35 which is pleasant to shoot.
    Never thought I'd hear a good word about the 35 from you, Nick.

Are you feeling OK?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Never thought I'd hear a good word about the 35 from you, Nick.

Are you feeling OK?
    Pleasant to shoot (or so I'm told). Not look at, hold or rub yourself against!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Due to the weather I did some airgun fiddling this afternoon and chronod the 80. It's doing 11.3 with the light JSBs and 11.46 with the 16 grainers. Recoil is low so I am now loathe to alter it! Re-parallaxed the scope and fettled a Diana 34 instead to satisfy the tinkering urge!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Due to the weather I did some airgun fiddling this afternoon and chronod the 80. It's doing 11.3 with the light JSBs and 11.46 with the 16 grainers. Recoil is low so I am now loathe to alter it! Re-parallaxed the scope and fettled a Diana 34 instead to satisfy the tinkering urge!
    if it;s accurate and not hold sensitive, leave it alone then....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Pleasant to shoot (or so I'm told). Not look at, hold or rub yourself against, although I have actually performed the latter three acts at Mr T20's Quigley Hollow, as a few witnesses will attest.
    Fixed it, Nick.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!