Thread: AA s400 pellet problem

Unhappy AA s400 pellet problem

Can anyone help out with pellet choice , for a .177 AAS400 as I’m finding it hard to get a good grouping.Tried putting napier pellet lube on the pellets but made it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by rams4027 View Post
    Can anyone help out with pellet choice , for a .177 AAS400 as I’m finding it hard to get a good grouping.Tried putting napier pellet lube on the pellets but made it worse.
    Usual suspects, JSB or AA Fields.........But first clean barrel (with a pull through if poss) and then check power level over a chrono. I wouldn't fill to over 180 bar.

Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
    Usual suspects, JSB or AA Fields.........But first clean barrel (with a pull through if poss) and then check power level over a chrono. I wouldn't fill to over 180 bar.

Steve C.
    As Steve suggests plus I use Superdomes up to 30yds, JSB Heavy and Accupells when shooting 50m target shooting althoughthe Accupells can suffer badly if there is a strong breeze.
    If I fill up to 190 I have no problems but if it goes to 200 I find the first half dozen or so shots can be off zero vertically but doesn't affect horizontal POI.
    Don't forget to use the pull through, if you have one, from the breech to the muzzle; using it the othe way round is supposed to risk pulling out the breech o rings.
    hth
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post

Steve C.
    What Steve said. Some AA barrels are fussy about cleaning - AA recommend every 250 shots, and I find that's about right.

Alan

cheers guys for the tips, I'll give them a go and see how I get on.👍

My S400k in . 177 loved Webley Accupell F.T
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

I have a 2007 S400 which came from the original owner with AA Diabolo Field headsize .452. Despite their age, they seem to be in perfect condition and the rifle likes them. Much to my chagrin, another member of the local club asked to try it and rang the bell target at 30 yds with three consecutive shots! It took me a while to find the target...

This larger, but popular, headsize fits nicely in the breech and you can just feel it pop past the seal as you close the bolt.

Took the old girl back to the range yesterday. Bit windy but can't waste a rest day. The Range Officer also had no problem ringing the bell with it. I must get some practice in!

Rob.

4.52 jsb exacts are accurate as hell in mine, currently working through a tin of jsb RS but don't think they're quite on par yet

so what size grouping are you getting at say 30,40,& 50 yards.
    mark

Mine is fine with the JSBs, but just a thought...……. is the probe 'O'-ring in good condition? They can be damaged and then you lose a bit of air back past the probe. As has been mentioned, don't fill above 170-180 bar.

mine loved wasps. (dont know if they still available). wash them and wax them.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

so what size grouping are you getting at say 30,40,& 50 yards.
    mark
    5p sized 10 shot groups at 40, if I do my bit. That's rested at indoor range so ideal conditions

JSB Exacts 4.52mm work pretty well in my S400F.
    The barrel gets a couple of VPD felt cleaners through it every now and then but I've never found the accuracy to suffer between cleanings.
    Agree with the 190 bar charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Brimfire View Post
    JSB Exacts 4.52mm work pretty well in my S400F.
    The barrel gets a couple of VPD felt cleaners through it every now and then but I've never found the accuracy to suffer between cleanings.
    Agree with the 190 bar charge.
    you dont use a stirrup pump then. takes me ages to get to 180. get a flat belly and too knackered to go out.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.