Thread: 20 cal in U.K. and Europe?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I’ve got Sheridan rifles and pistols in .20.
    Plus an HW 77 and an HW95.

I like the calibre and use H&N ftt mostly.

I've got a BSA Firebird with interchangeable barrels, one of which is in .20. And a Titan Bearcat in .20. Both very nice pcp's designed by John Bowkett. I also have a Sheridan Blue Streak and a Model F in .20. Although I like them, I find it very difficult to shoot accurately with the Sheridans using the open sights. I much prefer my Crosman 180. But that's another story haha.

Dont think you can compare a Sheridan vs other .20 rifles like Theoben etc. Its a different beast.
    In the Netherlands, therer isnt much .20 either.
    Theoben was the first to really make those calibers for our market I believe. Now you can get HW in .20 too but why should you.
    Most find their caliber of choice in either .177 or .22. Not much pellet choice either.
    I wouldnt buy any .20 or I should be a rare Webley for collecting or anything
    ATB,
    yana

I am a huge fan of the CO2 Sheridan F and use Beeman Silver Jets (when I can find them) and Crosman Premiers in mine.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    The first UK .20 of note was the AIRGUNAID SP-5 .20 Hunter circa 1979. This was developed by Eddie Barber of 1970s/1980s Air Gun World fame, alongside a chap called Don Grey, who produced and marketed his own version of the very same -- both using Lothar Walthar barrels, finely fettled Milbro Diana G80 actions, and specific HW35 styled finger grooved stocks.

Early AIRGUNAID stock examples were hand waxed and hand finished. Later variants -- and all the Don Grey derrivatives -- had their stocks mechanically mass laquered for reason of production cost economics. By today's standards, as I have been forced to admit in the past, the AIRGUNAID and DG .20s in question are left wanting in many areas, but I for one love them.

Do a BBS collector's section search for AIRGUNAID and see what comes up -- I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. Hope this helps and offers an insight into the quirkiness of the 1970s/1980s British domestic sub 12ft.lbs air gun scene.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

20. Cal

I own...Webley Stingray, Longbow, Tomahawk, 80 and 95 in .20 cal. Great fun. Mach 1.5

My only .20 cal is an Original 45 bought on here. Upon researching pellet options I found there was very little available. While awaiting some FTT'S s by post, I happened upon a selection NOS pellets in a local dealers back shop. Some of them no longer available as far as I can ascertain. Luckily, the 45 shot them all well, especially Daystates and RWS Super H Points. Went back and bought a pile more for a very reasonable price. Very, very few people ever asked him for 20 cal pellets, he said.
    If ever I run out of the oldies, I'll switch to FTTs, which go well in the 45 also.
    Last edited by Drew451; 21-09-2018 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    I own...Webley Stingray, Longbow, Tomahawk, 80 and 95 in .20 cal. Great fun. Mach 1.5
    Factory .20” Webleys? Or later conversion?